What’s Brewin’?

Looks really good. I’ve been needing some motivation to brew. May have to give that one a whirl with some 1056 slurry I’ve got on hand and magnum for bittering. I think I have all the other hops…

I’ve got a pale ale made with rye middlings and NZ hops that I just kegged. An IPA with Mecca Grade malts and Veteran’s Blend hops in the fermenter. And tomorrow I’m brewing an “homage” to Houblon Chouffe.

4 Likes

I’ve used 1056 yeast with this recipe with some great results. The magnum hops should work great too for bittering addition. Im not a big fan of magnum my self but they are a great bittering hop.

2 Likes

That’s all I’ve used magnum for as well. I’m down to chinnok and nugget for bittering. Ive actually got alot of nugget. Anyone do a nugget single hop brew?

Denny would you mind sharing your recipe. I would be vary interest.

I use to use a lot of nugget. I perfer it over magnum to me its got a smoothness to it that really nice. Its a hop thats way underrated and over looked.

Off the top of my head…

11.5 lb. Mecca Grade Pelton
1.5-2 lb. sugar
Bitter to about 60 IBU with Columbus
1-2 oz Saaz at 3 min.
2 oz. Amarillo dry hop
WY3522

Pretty straightforward, really

1 Like

Thank you. I’m going to have to give that a try.

1 Like

Since we have thunderstorms rolling through… It’ll be brew day! I know it’s late, but I’ve got to try Ryebock again… This time, I’ll mash the rye separately…
I think with its Malliard reaction being lower, and the element IN the wort, scorching will still be a problem… I’ll get the water corrected… Up to temp… Then put in my very first brew kettle to mash…
And I’ve got my 2 fermenters with a small lager ready to keg…
It should be beery good day!!
Sneezles61

3 Likes

How much rye are you using for your roggen lager

Here is a recipe I was looking at

1 Like

Yea I only use magnum (GR) for bittering because it’s high AA. Takes very little to bitter my lagers and I kind of like that sharp bittering I get from it in my IPAs.

1 Like

Holy moly that’s alot of Rye… I wasn’t thinking of going that much… but it’s not too late… Maybe I should just make a 5 gallon to see how this goes… I haven’t Munich… But… I’ll stick to my 50/50 Pils and MO…
So here is what’s gonna happen:
6 lbs of rye
3 each of Pils and MO
8oz C-40…
1 oz Northern Brewer to the boil…
3 oz Saaz 10 minutes…
34/70 yeast…
Let’s see how this goes!
Sneezles61

Trying to use up some older hops in the freezer, 2018 I think.
10 lbs- 2 row
3 lbs- flaked wheat
2 lbs- Vienna
1 lb- corn sugar

Hefeweizen v1.1
6 Lbs Weyermann pale wheat
4 Lbs Weyermann barke pilsner
4 Oz Weyermann melanoidin

1.5 Oz tettnanger 2.3AA 60 min (10 IBU)

Imperial G01 Stefon

2 Likes

Saison Buffoon today! Not bad here in west MI.

1 Like

I might be headed for a saison recipe soon. I have never done one yet.

Some good ones out there. Not particularly my favorite style but the boss (my lovely better half) loves it so I’ll keep making it. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Saison is one of my favorite styles. What ever you read about “bubble gum” and other exotic flavors. Plan on peppery for now. It is a forgiving yeast. Keep the IBUs on the low side.

2 Likes

I honestly think it has more variables than any other style…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Other Half in Brooklyn created this recipe for all of us to brew to support hospitality professionals. I think it’s a great idea and will be buying ingredients to brew this asap.

1 Like