What’s Brewin’?

Funny you mentioned ski poles. Going to try and make the Tupper Lake Brewski. It’s 9 or so local breweries set up along the ski trails for tasting. I don’t generally do brewfests but this is small and self limiting. You need to ski between the stations

1 Like

The guy who sold them to me said they would be quiet and not take too much care. That’s mostly true.

1 Like

Now that’s a brewfest I would really enjoy!

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Went to LHBS to grab some grains as I was setup to brew yesterday aside from the shipping blunder. Changed the recipe up a bit but here were the final numbers. Also, used the Riptide pump and cleaned the unitank which was a breeze. It seemed so intimidating at first but the process went smooth and I actually used the tank for this batch. We’ll see what happens.

Recipe specifics:

Style: New England IPA
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 7.0 gal
OG: 1.075
FG: 1.019
Bitterness (IBU): 27.2
Color (SRM): 8.3
ABV: 7.6%

Grain/Sugars:

8.50 lb Maris Otter Malt, 54.8%
3.50 lb Two-row (US), 22.6%
3.00 lb Flaked Oats, 19.4%
0.50 lb Crystal 40L, 3.2%

Hops:

1.00 oz Warrior (AA 15.0%, Pellet) 20 min, 27.2 IBU
1.90 oz Amarillo (AA 8.0%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU
2.00 oz Citra (AA 12.0%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU
3.05 oz Amarillo (AA 8.0%, Pellet) dry hop
3.50 oz Citra (AA 12.0%, Pellet) dry hop

Batch Notes:

4th generation WLP066 London Fog Ale yeast

1 Like

Brewing my AZ Copper Ale (again). She’s in the closet fermenting away. I’m looking forward to see if my repeat tastes as good as my first brew of AZ Copper Ale. The only differences in my process was I made a yeast starter and my fermenter temps are a little lower 70’s vs high 80’s last time. I’m using the kviek yeast Loki A43 Imperial yeast and it took off last night after pitching.

1 Like

We will all be awaiting your perceived notes…
Sneezles61

Bock on the horizon as my lager yeast is close to finishing…
So I’ve got chocolate wheat on hand… I wonder if 2 pounds per 5 gallon batch would be a close thought?.. Maybe best go to the recipe side and actually post my initial grainbill… Next W/E would be brew day…
Sneezles61

Been Super busy lately but i finally am able to brew today at home.
Chocolate Belgian Stout with Acai berries

OG 1.065
FG 1.009
ABV 7.4
IBU 30

11.5 lbs Chateau Pilsner Malt
0.75 lbs Simpsons English Chocolate Malt
0.5 Special B
0.5 Crystal 40
Yeast Wlp 550 Belgian Ale
Hops 3 oz Saaz 60 minutes
4 oz Cacao nibs secondary
5 lbs Acai berries secondary

Getting the “lager” yeast ready to preform tomorrow…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Doing another attempt at the Great Bavarian Hefeweizen Project today. Got initial infusion dialed in but missed temps for the step up target of 150 and only hit 147 (still working through learning step mash process). Now it’s time to chill with some Cocoa Bear and good tunes.

Lot of Disturbed on the brewing playlist today and I am very ok with that!:raised_hands:

Rad

6 Likes

Doing another Vienna lager with a different H2O profile to see the difference in taste. As soon as my Potsdam Stangenbier kicks I’ll tap my Maibock which has been lagering.

1 Like

Small brew in the keezer… Ale is on tap… Lager is, well lagering with CO2… Very dark bock is fermenting… Next will be a Miabock… With alot of rye… And I won’t go over 180* also… I do not want to repeat last years burnt offerings…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

I had the chance to brew my winning recipe on a professional scale at Iron Hill Brewery last Thursday. The experience was nothing short of amazing and I enjoyed every minute of it. They posted some cool shots on their facebook page, here’s a link Redirecting...xts%5B0%5D=68.ARBkw6YItqAIXMFsLSfFZazYWf8a78S2tbu8bnUxPPgjLLCmUztq-BoW_Lb8V_8AB65-i9vj9XGwSvnDoVzruzcRFjrInODrIvsgP2qZ6rEpjqVc6c0axDOmEkm6HNJW1PeO1Mb5qETpy68uuRvV4riAeLTQzrGpo79ELsH_vFFwLMW1czrKrLcB4enoWl38jezL8fJAvCgMl2xmlLEt82MlnkNvVovck-Odr_LueIJ_xuTTuoFM7id2hkQxl2BPohHLWK5HNwn0MM2NQIxOEWwH7WjCWJecfv700Z-wlIyvf7F8DiEZGv39Efh0K_g1kpMu4czR6fLu7yzCmhyzqHRUUIWq0IzW3BIodBbyK3_GZiWs68-WaltVkahCSU1gPHJ3FXNFyb2psKhl4U6eZyzh-5ypgzotE44V2xhTNaeTuXwHZ7VWdPX0pJY5-rzA7gZiEszaGP4tGNdG5DlRPzCAyF3PxxqEZy_89VmMua3SQ9hQt8uwG9ku4QnR_ORWSQ2gpxcLMSCo5P76aeCJRm_4CbUEyWibtAQrgiAXcw&tn=-UC-R

4 Likes

That’s awesome man! Congrats! I got a buddy over in Ephrata, I’ll have to give him a heads up to go check it out when it’s available.

Rad

Thanks @radagast. It’s dropping March 21st at 2pm and I’ll be pouring the first pint. We brewed a 10bbl batch so they will have it for a bit, although, I think it’s going to be a big seller.

Co-founder Mark Edelson also informed me that the 5 “region” winners’ beers are going to face off in a peoples’ choice contest at a festival coming up soon. The winning beer from that is going to be entered in the Pro-Am portion of GABF. If that isn’t exciting, I don’t know what is. I have the only IPA of the 5 winning beers so I feel pretty good about a “peoples’ choice” contest.

7 Likes

I let my buddy know, his gf and two of his best friends cruise their local scene for new beers and he actually helps brew at PourMan’s. He said they’ll try to make it a priority to get over and check it out. :innocent: Keep us posted as things develop on the contest!

Rad

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Thanks for sharing! :sunglasses::+1:

Coffee Cream Ale going in the kettle tomorrow morning!

2 Likes

Bottled 6 gallons of Southern Star IPA and transferred 5 gallons of our hosts Mosaic IPA to a secondary (to free up my main fermenter really) tomorrow I will bottle a Saison after brewing the Citra Session IPA kit I got for free from our host. That’s a pretty big pipeline of beer going… I guess I’m going to have to have a party.

3 Likes

Me 2 weeks off now. Gonna do things around the house. The little corona thing put a dent in my travel plans. So today do brew a clone. Siera nevada pale ale. Monday. Either stout or. Double ipa. Gonna see today how my water filtration system works. If the water taste funky.

1 Like