What’s Brewin’?

Just made a Double IPA using South African Southern Star, Southern Passion and African Queen hops. I’m excited for something a little different.

While most of the descriptors in these hops are on the berry fruit side of things there’s a chance to get chilies, gazpacho, soft coconut, and coffee.

Sounds interesting! I’ve not used any of those.

We did our Weezer NEIPA yesterday. Amarillo/Simcoe/Mosaic in equal quantities.Total hops for the 5 gallons including a 3 oz DH is 10 oz.

I need to hold off on my dry hopping for a while because my DH have been oxidizing and age into a soupy taste in a matter of a few weeks. I’m hoping my new stainless fermenter will allow me to transfer under pressure.

2 Likes

Well, today is pretty much a day for me to look through my brew stuff and daydream of “brew endeavors”… Keg kicked a few days ago… Fermenters are sitting upside down…
I’ve made a list, both of what ingredients and what to brew… This coming W/E I’ll brew an IPA since it’s what I have on hand to make… Mid January, I’ll take a trip down to NB… My yeasts are about past their life cycle… Time for fresh packets…
Start off with a small simple lager. Then follow with 4 more lager varieties… Then to tweak my common ale… That should keep me busy into spring…
I wonder if any of you plott and scheme like this…?
Sneezles61

3 Likes

There you can see how my lids are modified… It would have been a very nice job had I an oxy-acetylene set up…
I even cut the pick up tube off so it can’t suck everything out of the fermentor
Sneezles61

3 Likes

Brewed an 8 Gallon Batch a few days back.
5 Gallons - Rye IPA
3 Gallons - Black Rye IPA (additional 15 min boil, steeped grains, corn sugar, more hops)

HERMS used for the Rye.

Neighbor brewed a 5 gallon Amber Ale.

3 Likes

Just brewed this up while I enjoyed the day off.

Style: American IPA
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 7.0 gal
OG: 1.074
FG: 1.018
Bitterness (IBU): 22.1
Color (SRM): 7.2
ABV: 7.3%

Grain/Sugars:

9.00 lb Two-row (US), 60.0%
3.00 lb Flaked Oats, 20.0%
1.50 lb White Wheat, 10.0%
1.00 lb CaraPils, 6.7%
0.50 lb Milk Sugar, 3.3%

Hops:

0.50 oz Citra (AA 12.6%, Pellet) 20 min, 11.2 IBU
0.50 oz Mosaic (AA 12.4%, Pellet) 20 min, 11.0 IBU
3.50 oz Citra (AA 12.6%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU
3.00 oz Mosaic (AA 12.4%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU
4.00 oz Citra (AA 12.6%, Pellet) dry hop (half @ high krausen, half @ kegging)
7.70 oz Mosaic (AA 12.4%, Pellet) dry hop (half @ high krausen, half @ kegging)

Yeast/Misc:

Wyeast 1318, Yeast 2nd gen

Looks like a good basic IPA… What was OG? 1.063-ish?
I will brew something very similar tomorrow
Sneezles61

Brought a brown ale kit to my brother’s for the holidays. Unfortunately he got a new induction stovetop and his biggest pot was 8 quarts. It is a real education using someone else’s equipment to make your brew. We managed but stirring that last bit of DME in the small volume and not boiling over was a challenge as the wort was supersaturated

5 gal. Dry Irish Stout. Looking to try my hand at a Hard Cider.

Brrewed a Vienna lager on the eave of the new year. Happy and safe New year to all

1 Like

Happy New Year to you and all. Enjoying a pre gathering sample of my Continental Amber Lager.

Edited: condensation on glass doesn’t do justice to the clarity.

3 Likes

And the lack of snow!! Sneezles61

Was it especially cold there?

Not really

We finally got a pathetic dusting, but at least it’s not rain and fog like we had most of Christmas week :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. This weekend I’m brewing up my Nugget Nectar clone, and the following weekend will be Zombie Frost. I should have gotten one in this week while I was off, but too hectic of a schedule of events and travel.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Gravity of my basic IPA is at 1.014… So it’s time to dry hop… In one fermenter I put 2 oz each citra and Ekuanot… The other, I put a whole grocery bag of centennial cones my cousin picked… Really had to push them down to get it all to fit…
I let it all sit at room temp until Tuesday…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Imperial Stout day today. It has been years since I made one so I’m pretty excited.

3 Likes

Brewed an Irish Red today. Tweaked this a touch.

Looks interesting…Way to much grain for my system and efficiency. Curious how the color comes out too. Keep us posted. Always tweaking my irish red recipe.