What’s Brewin’?

For the FWH? Doesn’t seem like it should matter. I usually drop them in as soon as I pull the bag. So the temp is definitely below 170. Usually in the high 140s - low 150s.

That’s what I figured. Even with the cold water batch sparge the wort was maybe 140. Usually do a hot sparge so maybe I start at about 160. Doesn’t matter just thinking out loud

How was the sparge efficiency? Sneezles61

Exactly what I predicted for a hot sparge so made no difference there. I’m hoping to keep the protien in suspension to hold the hop flavor and aroma

2 Likes

Me brewing monday. Mango habonero ipa

1 Like

Brewing my summer saison tomorrow. Going to do a split batch so I’ll brew 11 gallons finished and pitch half with wyeast 3724 and the other half with the yeast bay farmhouse sour and saison/brett culture.

2 Likes

Any feedback on the Bru-1 hops? I just ordered a pound of them from yakima for $11. Sounded like something I should try out in an IPA.

Brewed an ale yesterday using 7# pilsen, 1# two row, and .5# torrified wheat mashed at 156. Had some wild hop cones so did an oz. at 60, 30, and then WP at 170 degrees for 5 minutes. Fermenting with US05. The whole idea of this beer is to exhibit the hops to see what they’re all about. Had some hiccoughs during the transfer to the fermenter due to all the hop debris (yes I have muslin bags and no I didn’t use them :bow:) including a small piece of sanitized paper towel getting into the fermenter. I plan to let this ferment out for a week or so and then secondary since there’s so much debris. Should be an interesting beer at least.

1 Like

Just brewed up a traditional Hefeweizen. Until I had 3/4 oz of Czech Saaz hops remaining so I added them at 5mins remaining in boil. It can only turn into beer after all. And with the low AA% it’s a relatively low risk.

1 Like

I did 3/4 oz of hersbrucker at 10 in one I brewed recently. Couldn’t really tell it was there but that was a 10 gal batch.

From the BJCP style guidelines. “Hop aroma ranges from low to none, and
may be lightly floral, spicy, or herbal.” Sounds about like what you can expect from your saaz. That’s what I was going for with the hersbrucker as well. May do a little more next time and later.

2 Likes

Just scored this nitro setup from a buddy that was selling off some goods. 2.6 gal torpedo keg is brand new, 5 gal ball lock keg, nitro bottle (3/4 full) with tap and handle and he threw in a BB NEIPA extract kit for shits and giggles. Gave him $135 and 2 four packs of good beer. Sounded like a deal to me so I pounced. Anybody here use nitro? Just curious about setup and pricing for bottle exchanges.

5 Likes

I’ve never used nitro but I enjoy what it does to a brew… Sounds like you scored a very good deal! That would be nice to have that option on the beer line… Lucky you Brewmanchu!! Sneezles61

Just made my first neipa and now I’m off to clean all my gear and brew a vienna! Fun day so far, only missed my gravity by 3 points. Still getting accustomed to my new system. This is batch 4 and 5 using it now and I dont think I’ll ever return to using propane.

3 Likes

Electric is the way to go… Sneezles61

1 Like

Just mashed in for 5 gals of pilsner.

1 Like

trouble chilling today but other than that it was a nice easy brew day. 5.5 gals of pils in the fermenter. I’ll step it up to an 11 gal batch when this ferments out. Gotta get the pipeline filled again!

2 Likes

Transferred the blonde today. Purged the secondary with CO2 and pushed it over with gas. Gravity is at 1.010 and taste is very floral with some minor vegetal notes (maybe hop debris?). Thinking when it finishes and I gas it it’s going to be pretty interesting.

1 Like

Been warm and I haven’t any room in the ferm chamber. So im doing another hefe which I’ll ferment at ambient.

1 Like

Not sure what the nitro would do to a NEIPA so I’m thinking I must do a porter or stout for that tap. I’ve only brewed 2 stouts to date as I don’t drink them at home often. Maybe just a small batch in the mini keg to play around with

Seems to me there are some commercial examples of very pale brews with nitro widgets… At one time, Boddingtons pub ale I could remember… Maybe even Harps was also another…? Sneezles61