What’s Brewin’?

Doing the Teeny Behemoth session IPA kit on Sunday. Have not done an IPA for quite a while so it will be good to get to something pretty straightforward.

Getting the yeast ready to brew NBs Speckled Heifer either tomorrow or Saturday. Will be using the US-05 harvested from an amber ale that was pitched 6-13.

1 Like

I’m going to say that my 009 yeast is giving me a different background taste… I think its maxed out.
I’ve been busy… too busy actually… Next W/E… I have to fill a couple of kegs… I will do a split batch… I’m going out on a limb… A crystal heavy brew… and use table sugar to up the ABV and dry it out… A faux brut? The second half I can step it back down to a PA… Sierra style? Sneezles61

Extra Chrystal and table sugar? I’m not feelin it

West coast ipa today…first batch in two months.

1 Like

Sundays brewing put off for awhile. Gimpy leg from failed arch supports. Maybe Tuesday or Wednesday if garden work today doesn’t make it worse. Wear and tear on the body really catches up fast with aging.

At least the starter was able to do its job. Have a good volume of fresh yeast ready.

Have the grains in the mash tun for the Speckled Heifer. I need to add this note to the top of the Bru’n Water page I print out. “Always check written notes. Don’t rely on your faulty memory.” I wanted to mash in at 156°F. Instead I heated the strike water to 156°. Had to add some hot water. Got it up to 151° then stopped to avoid thinning the mash too much. I think this one will have less body than previous brews.

Thank You Flars! I thought I was the only one! :smile:

You know @flars I’ve done full volume mashes and haven’t noticed much difference. The temp will make the difference. 151 will be a much “thinner” drier beer than a 156 mash.

Next time consider it an opportunity to try a decoction… nice way to get the temperature up in a pinch.

3 Likes

That’ll work . Pull some of boil it and pour it back in

Or, get the hot rod… You can vorlauf as its heating up… reach desired temp and turn it off… maybe… Sneezles61

I can’t believe I read the whole thing. I’d like to see the test done with a different style. Pale ales are very forgiving

I agree @brew_cat. I would like to see the experiment with a recipe of only 2row or Pils. No specialty grains.

fair enough. I always have a target. If I’m off by a few degrees I don’t sweat it.
I imagine if you are doing large volumes and need consistency from batch to batch things might be different

Speckled Heifer partial mash in the fermentor yesterday. Longest brew day ever. Began getting equipment ready at 8:00AM. Didn’t pitch the yeast until 1:30PM. Needed t rest my hurting leg quite often.

Getting the yeast ready for Midwest’s Hank’s Hefeweizen. Will try WB-06 again. Change the pitch rate and ferment cooler.

Me a blond ipa today