What’s Brewin’?

Thee’s only an oz. of Tettnang at 60 so any thoughts on dry hopping the Hef with some Fuggle or something else?

Brewed Fresh Squished yesterday. I’ve never brewed with Mosaic before, smelled awesome. :innocent: It was a perfect weather weekend in western PA!

:beers:
Rad

2 Likes

Brewed a Peanut Butter Brown Ale kit I bought way too many months ago on the 4th. Wanted to make sure I remembered how. It was a last minute decision. My equipment was calling my name.

Wasn’t going to buy anything extra to brew it. Used water straight from the tap. Chilled it down with the hydra to around 74°, pitched about pack and a half of rehydrated S-04 while it was still about 10° above the wort. Set chest freezer to 70° for a couple hours before I lowered it to 68° and let it go. Took off quick and chugged along pretty quick.

Checked gravity last night it was 1.014. Tasted and smelled good. I’ll probably just fast track it to the keg in a few days. Add the peanut butter flavoring and drink it.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Creating Off Flavors after Primary

Oh man… I feel for you… Now, its time to go through, and re-live brew day… Sneezles61

Ordered some grain for an ipa today…got some warrior, cascade, azacca, and a pound of Amarillo to play with.

1 Like

I’m curious about Amarillo… Sneezles61

Why are you currious. Amerillo is one of my favorites. Use it in my house pale ale. Which reminds me better order some. Remember a few years ago there was a shortage and it was hard to get. Never used to see it on sale I think it still sells out quick

Me saturday. A mango ipa let it stand 6 months

Amarillo is in my top 3 for sure, plays well with my favorite Simcoe. I do remember that shortage a few years ago. Anybody that had it wanted lots of money for it and even bulk suppliers would only sell you a half pound.

What do you perceive from Amarillo… I’ve been the cascade/centennial fan for so long… Well, I’m comfortable there… I have a half pound coming now… How do you use it? Sneezles61

In my opinion (and you know that I have strong opinions… lol),
What ever you like is best…

Amarillo is good to add to the recipe, alone it is very sharp.
My personal favorite is RyeCoe (Simcoe based).

Rye based recipe (70% Pale, 20% Rye, 10% Crystal 20, Rice hulls - Guessing).

Local brewery (Big Lake) makes Simcoe and Armarillo based rye brews in cans.

RyeCoe: Rye based malt + Simcoe (I usually have this clone on my left tap)

Ramarillo: Rye based malt + Amarillo

They also serve at their brewery a Simcoe + Amarillo blend similar recipe which is really good.

Hops that I use alot:
Columbus - bittering only (works well with all the other IPA hops)
Chinook - Strong Ales, Black IPAs, add ons
Centennial - Two Hearted Ale Clone, add ons
Cascade - Can’t beat this hop for dry hopping
Willamette - Porters, Stouts

Forgot to mention,
For Vienna IPA (all Vienna Base Malt), Chinook is Awesome.

If you like Cascade you will probably like amerillo. I’m not good with descriptors but I would call it citrusy but not as much grapefruit. I think it goes nice in my rye IPA and any pale all or IPA. More expensive than Cascade so I don’t use it as much but got to order some soon.

1 Like

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Creating Off Flavors after Primary

If you’re a Cascade fan then I think you’ll like Amarillo as they have similar characteristics. I tend to get the orange citrus taste from it over the grapefruit and other descriptors mentioned. It is expensive but I like keeping this on hand for the IPA styles that I brew most. I do an Alpine Duet clone that is fantastic and I bet you would like it as well

1 Like

3 Likes

Building a bigger brewery at my house.

I see a few 5 gallon buckets there so that’s a start. :grin:
Very exciting. Keep posting pics of progress please.

1 Like

Should be up and running end of august. So my grandson can have his room back. Now i use it as my brewing room its getting to small. Next step up grade brewing sytem. Me thinking 30 gall herms system. Did see nice one at spike brewing. But still use gas. Much cheaper than power here on the island

Man, I wish I was down there to help! Sneezles61