What’s Brewin’?

Sounds Great.
I’m doing an all BrettBrux IPA with TYB261

Brewed my Draft Day session IPA today to be ready for fantasy football drafts that are right around the corner. Ramped up the grain bill and hop dosages this time so at 7.1% I won’t be able to call it a session beer this time. Only lasted 2 weekends last year so it rates up there, probably the best beer I’ve brewed to date in that regard.

Also tapped my newest NEIPA Saturday and it’s delicious! My wife created the recipe based off some of my other ones and picked the hop combos to match her likes. It won’t last long and she’s already deciding how to tweak it some for the next batch.

1 Like

Excited about this weekend! Brewing my Throwback Cream Ale, a famously delicious beer in our house that got F’d by hurricane Irma last year. Transferring my Citra Rye Endless Summer APA to keg and keg hopping. Lotsa metal, classic rock and no interruptions hopefully.

2 Likes

You Lucky Dog! :relieved: Sneezles61

2 Likes

Taking on a DIPA on Sunday.
2017 AHA winner.

Able to figure out how much is needed per bottle?.. Then, put needed amount in each bottle, then rack brew on top? Sneezles61

Adjusting my plan to separate the 5 gallons into 3 gallons and 2 gallons.

a.) 3 gallons - Will keg as normal (3 gallon keg) and use CO2 to carbonate. Will use Beer Gun to bottle.
b.) 2 gallons - Will bottle using priming sugar then do a taste test afterwards (suspecting they will taste different)

I plan to use Corn Sugar for priming.
How much sugar again per 5 gallons (2 gallons)?, per each bottle (2 gallons => 20 bottles)?

I could go back to the John Palmer chart but would rather get recommendations here.
Its been 2 years or so since I have attempted using priming sugar.

Thanks,
Tom

Check out the NB priming calculator. It has worked well for me. I find bulk priming the entire volume is more efficient. The only time I prime by the bottle is when Domino Dot sugar cubes are used.

1 Like

Today brewing a pale ale with citra Chinook and Cascade. Last night made 3 gallons of ginger ale. I had a hop sack full of the lemon and ginger peel from the soda so on a whim I steeped that waiting for the boil.

Tweaking my Brett IPA. I typically start with a main yeast before adding Brett. This time I started with Brett only and a week in added a fresh starter of Kveik. I also put in some dry hops because I’m sitting on too much hops from a buy in bulk and split thing happening at work with my colleagues. We got hops for 25 cents an ounce last purchase.

Yeah I get caught up in the bulk hops deals also. From now on I’m going to only buy bittering hops in 1lb lots the rest just 1/2 lb lots. Just not worth it. I’ll end up substituting hops with what I have to use them up lest they get old

We are splitting 3 lbs among 3 people but ordering like like 3 or 4 varieties at a time. So I come home with 3 or 4 lbs each time we order. I’m going to freeze them this time.

I freeze mine. Seems to last. If the get old I use them to bitter a pale ale

2017 AHA DIPA Winner Recipe.
I will transfer to 2nd this weekend (Columbus, Centennial & Simcoe used)
3 Gallon - For 3 Gallon Keg
2 Gallon - For Bottling with Priming Sugar
OG = 1.07, IBU = through the roof
WLP001 and Yeast Starter

I will do a (personal) taste test between beer gun bottling vs. priming sugar in late July.
Everything else is the same.

e

2 Likes

Thats a nifty blow off tube… Sneezles61

Most of the hops that I purchase are in the 16 oz (1 lb) pellet bags for the economics of it…
I keep them in the freezer portion of by beer frig in zip lock bags.

1 Like

I used to buy 1lb lots then separate into 2oz/bag and freeze, now I just freeze the big bags and measure out what I need. Don’t notice any difference

1 Like

My method as well @brewcat. I used to break them down in 2 or 4 oz packs and it seems like I always needed 3 oz. Waste of time and foodsaver bags

2 Likes

I wasn’t paying attention this morning when I was transferring an all Brett IPA from a 6.5g big mouth to a 5g big mouth The primary was at the 5g mark filled and I was avoiding trub so it should have all fit but, alas, I racked all over the floor as it overflowed and had to ladle out beer in order to make room for dry hopping. My boys did not think it was funny when I offered them a bowl of beer for breakfast.

4 Likes

FINALLY getting a chance to brew! Bought three kits from our host awhile back that are all on the agenda today. Fresh Squished mashed in about 30 minutes ago, second will be Kama Citra, and third is a Hefewiesen. Geeked!