What’s Brewin’?

I love this thread, always gets me thinking about my next brew. Just walked in the door after a long day of traveling headed right to the brewery and sampled all my concoctions. Ah good to be home

2 Likes

Welcome home my friend

1 Like

Yes… good you arrived home safe… Now for a couple of brews… plot and scheme… plan for the next adventure… Sneezles61

Brewing my summer staple Lakefront Fixed Gear from our hosts. A friend up the street likes it so much I’ve taken to calling it Julie’s Beer. :innocent: With the Pens game last night and just getting home didn’t get around to making a starter so I just made 1L of extra wort and have that spinning away on the stir plate while I brew to pitch before bed. Times like this I REALLY miss Fast Pitch. :pensive:

Enjoying a Founders Dankwood as my first of the brew session. Delicious but definitely a sipper at 12.5% :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just spent the past week in FL visiting the mouse (which makes for a VERY long week with 4 kids :joy:) so was very much looking forward to today. Next weekend will be Zombie Dirt followed soon after by Plinian Legacy and Off the Topper. Bring on summer!!

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

ESB is in the fermenters… 2 @ 5.5 gallons… I was aiming at 1.054… Missed it… 1.050… I mashed a little different in my BIAB… I held the basket up so it wasn’t fully submerged… just trying different stuff… Pitched yeast at 1:15… just starting to bubble… I will keg one prematurely for a cask ale…
80% Marris Otter
20% crystal 120
6 oz. for extra color…
Sample was very tasty… Sneezles61

2 Likes

Today brewed a milk stout, pitched yeast from the Irish Red that went into the keg today.

Brewed a summertime session ale with an est ABV of 4.3%. Used pale 2 row, torrified wheat, x dark crystal, and melanoidin. 5 oz. of hops: FW with Galena and Columbus then Copper, Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo, and Mosaic:yum: in the last 15 minutes and DH. :yum:

Brewed a 10 gallon batch on Sunday.
First 5 of 10 gallons: Rye IPA (Pale, Rye, Crystal 20, Columbus Hops, Simcoe Hops)
Drain 5 gallons then continue for 15 minutes…
Second 5 of 10 gallons Black Rye IPA (Steep grains, Corn Sugar, Nelson Sauvin Hops)

2 Likes

That setup in pic 2 is killer! Nice!

1 Like

Kegged some stuff this weekend…broken finger keeping me from brewing…maybe this weekend…maybe.

No pain… no gain Unc! My two little brews have now kicked… I will say the one with the gungeist hops was far better when green… The other un-hopped version, with the 009 yeast was actually a super brew after it aged a bit… Now, just letting the ESB finish up… I’ve gotta find a day to rack into kegs… Sneezles61

I made a Porter recently with really high hopes (6 gallons) which turned out really bland (need to toss).
I have a rule, if I don’t like it, it’s not being served.
Not sure if it was the recipe or my mash profile. I always follow same sanitation rules.
OG was on the lower end that day (approx 1.045 or so).

What I used:
12 lbs Pale
1 lb 4 oz Chocolate
1 lb Crystal 120
.5 lb Crystal 60
.25 lb Black Patent
1 oz Northern Brewer at 60
2 oz Willamette (home grown leaf) at 30
Mash Profile probably in the high end (for sweeter beer)
WLP001

Maybe I had too much water trying to reach 6 gallons (for two 3-gallon carboys)

I always like to add Roasted Barley but have been told to reserve that for Stouts.
I removed the Munich Malt from the Recipe in favor of Crystal 60 (probably a big mistake)

Porter recipes are all over the map.

Not sure what happened.
:frowning:

Had big plans but nothing is brewing. Prepared yeast for two brews in frig.

Garden work and lawn work starting. Have to take it easy though. Seems I didn’t injure my rotator cuff a couple of months ago. I shredded it. Probably first injured it 4 years ago the same time I tore up the right shoulder. Just didn’t hurt as bad. Physical therapy and exercising in an attempt avoid a shoulder replacement.

2 Likes

Yipes. Weirdo friends of mine are always suggesting turmeric for stuff that is connective tissue relative. Time to come up with an earthy Turmeric Saison recipe.

1 Like

Yikes! :fearful: That may put a damper on some of your gardening, hopefully PT can help! I’m still not back to 100% from my knee surgery last fall, things sadly take time to heal. I’m gonna try to get my hops in this week as we are finally past frost possibilities (at least I’m telling myself that :joy:) I may try to sneak in a brew this weekend although both my primaries are currently full from the past two weekends but the wife is going home to help her mother and taking the little two with her so it may be a good opportunity to brew Plinian Legacy. :innocent:

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

yeah, watch lifting those fermenters with a bad shoulder(s)…I swear those things get heavier every year!

1 Like

Its supposed to have some anti inflammatory properties.

That’s true. But it has to be extremely concentrated. Just the amount you’d use to flavor food (or beer) wouldn’t come close to helping anyone. I know because I’m an extreme nerd. Just can’t help it.

On the other hand, three or four of any 10% beer will definitely make any ache or pain feel better!

Cheers,

Ron

2 Likes

^^^ thats called… medicating… It really works, swell! Well Unc, then its time to use it with every meal, drink and snack… That’ll fix it! Sneezles61

I guess nothing’s brewing here. Tornado ripped through here good chunk of the state will be out of power for days or weeks. It’s a disaster. I lost 3 huge sugar maples and on apple. Trees on houses everywhere. I hope no fatalities