What’s Brewin’?

The problem with debates about beer on a digital platform is that they really should be had in real life with a beer in hand [cheers porkchop]

2 Likes

I put 2 oz. of chocolate and get a nice flavor layer in ours. We also add 8 oz torrified Wheat in for body. 5 gallons. Love that beer!

1 Like

Bottled the prickly pear beer tonight, Hothead yeast chewed right through it. The bottling bucket taste test was amazing.

Is hothead the same as Voss? :confused: Sneezles61

edit for clarity…

Omega hothead = Stranda strain
Omega voss = voss strain
Yeast bay Sigmund’s voss Kveik = voss strain

I’ve not been brewing for a couple weeks while I’ve been here in CO. My daughter brewed up a new granddaughter for me though. I’ll be home next weekend and left a Pale ale in the fermenter that needs to be dry hopped and kegged. An Abbey Ale that needs to come out of my oak barrel. An APA that has been carbonating needs to be tasted and bottled for my nieces college graduation party. Also a peach Mead that needs racking.

Tomorrow morning is NBs’ Midnight Porter.

Have the same in the fermentor at day 32. Stopped fermenting at 1.019. Original pitch was one rehydrated pack of fresh US-05. As an afterthought also pitched dry a 4 year old pack of US-05.

Yesterday at 68°F pitched a 1 liter starter of US-05 at high krausen. No activity yet. 154°F mash temperature may have been too high to get the SG to finish any lower. Right now it is a very full bodied porter.

I am going push for the most banana I can in a wheat this weekend using Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat.
I was told at my LHBS to try and ferment close to 75F for this.
My ultimate mad scientist vision is to do a split batch with this being half and the other half being this mellony Saison recipe I have using Yeast Bay Saison III. Then blend at bottling for all the glory.

You are likely correct about the OG being a bit higher being the issue. How close to the FG you expected?

The FG was 1.014 the first two times I brewed this recipe. Problem with the higher temperature may have been improving my technique. This one I pre warmed the mash tun and had a layer of insulation laying on top of the grain bag. Mash temperature did not quickly drop like it did for the first two.

Tomorrow plan to start with a 150°F mash temperature. Might blend the two in the glass when this one is ready.

Anybody brewing? Got the RIS in the fermenter. Trying to figure out what’s next. Wheat maybe? Got to get going on the Oktoberfest though… a little behind…

Just brewed a wheat this morning. I’m going to hug the top range going for max banana (I’ll report). Tomorrow I brew again, a saison. I will be pushing the top range and under pitching for a mellon that I got last time I use Yeast Bay Saison II. Both will be low 4% and I intend to make 3 beers from them with one being a blend of the wheat and saison. But in order to brew tomorrow I have to bottle a Kriek I made in December and I’m all ready feeling like a nap.

2 Likes

Same here. Been in CO for a few weeks flying home today. I have a bunch of beer to move and process. I have MO, Munich, wheat, and Rye malt hopefully also throw in a saison mid week if things work out. Have any itchy brewing finger

2 Likes

Safe travels @brew_cat.

Thanks , in the sky bar drinking Upslope. Nice and it’s got a catchy name. Upslope Craft Lager

Midnight Porter in the fermentor yesterday. Preparing WY 3711 for NBs’ Petite Saison. Need a rainy day to brew. Have to start some work in the yard and garden first. Next up another Witbier harvested yeast.

:disappointed: I messed up and didn’t brew today… Poor yeast are chomping at the bit to get fermenting… Tomorrow I will brew… It’ll be my last ESB til fall… I think I can stash a keg… Then I’ll start my Kviek/farmhouse adventure… Sneezles61

2 Likes

Split 9 gallons of saison-style wort between three different Kveik strains. No starters, figured I’d let the yeast show their cheekiness. Hornindal started fermenting within an hour…

1 Like

Kegged the Cookie Monster clone…pils is at 1.008 so hit her with gelatin and started dropping the temp…should be a very nice summer beer.

1 Like

Working on my summer brews 12 gallon batch of Saison split batch. Half kettle soured and adding gooseberry puree and other half kettle soured and adding passion fruit to it

1 Like