12lb pilsner
4lb Munich
8 oz caramunich
1.5 oz Saaz 60 min
.5 oz Saaz 20 min
.5 oz Saaz 1 minutes
I really like wyeast 3711 but also use 3724

1 Like

Batch 100 - Big Mo. Single hopped Mosaic DIPA. Gravity before the boil and adding a pound of DME was 1.095. Think it’s going to be a little boozy. I’m boiling batch # 101 right now. About a 5% IPA with 6 different varieties of hops.

2 Likes

:confetti_ball::confetti_ball::tada::tada:

Nice. Yea I’d probably make it half way through my second pint of Big Mo and fall asleep on the Noob bar!

Congrats on the milestone!

1 Like

Yes! Bravo BigNoob!! Sneezles61

1 Like

Raspberry Cheesecake beer tomorrow. Haven’t had much time to brew at home lately, so I’m really looking forward to it.

Apparently I’m only half a noob. I did batch #50 last weekend. An Irish Red using 1/2 the yeast cake from the prior brew. Just let is come to room temperature and pitched. I’m very curious to see what difference that will make compared to using a fresh smack-pack with a starter.

Congrats on batch # 100 @WMNoob! :beers:

3 Likes

Thanks!

Main difference for me is it’s less work and also cheaper than the smackpack and starter. If you aerate your wort well you’ll usually see shorter lag in fermentation because you have a lot more yeast.

2 Likes

Brewing up a wee heavy today in honor of veterans day. It should be my biggest beer yet, shooting for 1.095!

You may need to put in 1/3 of you yeast starter… Keep building up the remaining 2/3… Then about a week in, take a sample and hit it with another shot of active yeast… My that’s going to be a big brew! Sneezles61

I did a 2 stage starter in accordance with brewer’s friend calculator. Think that will be enough?

A big brew like that very well could exhaust/deter your yeast if it’s not high alcohol tolerant. I suggest to be prepared to add some vibrant, fresh yeast… A stuck ferment is a bummer… Sneezles61

10-4, thanks!

1 Like

I like the idea of a second batch of yeast but wouldn’t starting with only 1/3 of the starter be a severe under-pitch? or would the 2/3-plus a week later clean up any off flavors from that?

If he’s using unhealthy yeast then yeah I would be concerned. But fresh yeast with a 2 stage starter should be fine. And I certainly wouldn’t only pitch a third. If you’re really worried you could hit it with O2 again after the first day of fermentation or feed it yeast nutrient during fermentation. But really, I think you’re fine. My RIS is 10.5% ABV and I just pitch 2 packages of US-05. No fermentation issues.

My way… Yeast just getting off to the battle ahead… Consuming mass quantities of sugar… Stands a better chance to keep budding… I’ll agree, old,tired, unhealthy yeast… Isn’t worth the time and money you got into this brew…
Week later pitching, fresh… vibrant yeast will help bring the FG down further… I wouldn’t pitch too much later… Sneezles61

Here’s the scotch ale. I. Initially I had a regular s-type airlock on it. About 12 hours after pitching I realized bad things were about to happen. Luckily I was able to switch to a blow off tube before the inevitable eruption.

2 Likes

Couple weeks ago was a Raspberry Cheesecake Beer. Tomorrow I’m doing a grapefruit wheat. Saw some grapefruit juice at the store and figured why not…

Shooting for a Saturday brew day with some friends over to help

Beer Name: Laces Front

Recipe specifics:

Style: New England IPA
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 7.5 gal
OG: 1.077
FG: 1.019
Bitterness (IBU): 42.3
Color (SRM): 6.3
ABV: 7.6%

Grain/Sugars:

6.00 lb Golden Promise Malt, 38.7%
6.00 lb Two-row (US), 38.7%
3.00 lb Flaked Oats, 19.4%
0.50 lb White Wheat, 3.2%

Hops:

1.00 oz Warrior (AA 14.3%, Pellet) 60 min, 42.3 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo (AA 7.9%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU
2.00 oz Azacca (AA 13.8%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU
2.00 oz El Dorado (AA 16.0%, Pellet) 0 min, 0.0 IBU
2.00 oz Amarillo (AA 7.9%, Pellet) dry hop
2.00 oz Azacca (AA 13.8%, Pellet) dry hop
2.00 oz Bru 1 (AA 15.7%, Pellet) dry hop
2.00 oz El Dorado (AA 16.0%, Pellet) dry hop

1st dry hop 2 days into active fermentation
2nd dry hop at kegging
Wyeast 1318

1 Like

On the boil of a continental amber lager today. Got to keep those fermenters full, after all!

2 Likes