What happens with no boil?

Thanks. I didn’t think about using gravity during the process to see when it was done, which is a pretty basic skill. I have been reluctant to disturb the beer while in the fermentor, I am aways concerned about opening up the environment and having contamination issues. But I guess as long as things are sanitized there should be no issues. Just letting it sit for a specific amount of time - like 2 weeks is very general I know and it could be ready much sooner - I will have to start using my hydrometer and recording info. The one time I tried to use it I had a difficult time really reading it. Thanks, duckydoo

If you held it above 160 F for a few minutes you pasteurized and should have killed most of the bugs.
If you added hops - the hops act as a preservative. If the yeast ferments - once the alcohol gets above 2-3% it tends to kill bacteria. Remember - people made beer as a way to make the water safer to drink.
RDWHAHB

this is a joke right??? :roll:

Im not poking at you if it isn’t as beginners we all have to learn and make mistakes but…
no boil??? Im still scratching my head over that one :slight_smile:

Good luck with this one.

My recommendation is if you keg, go ahead let it finish and keg it. If you bottle, just dump it. Not worth the risk of bottle bombs IMO.

[quote=“Mike_”]this is a joke right??? :roll:

Im not poking at you if it isn’t as beginners we all have to learn and make mistakes but…
no boil??? Im still scratching my head over that one :slight_smile: [/quote]

I can see this happening. Especially when it’s a newer brewer. I get pretty hyped up on details when I brew, but with a little time pressure I could see something slipping by me. ESPECIALLY with a multi-step mash - I haven’t tried that because it just seems too fussy.

I guess the whole thing started off backwards, instead of starting in the mash tun and bringing up the temp as the multi step indicates, I did it all in the kettle and on the burner? It just seemed like a silly amount of time to go through the multi step and then another hour boiling - but that was just my ignorance. Maybe this would be a good time to go to a corney keg setup and let this be my test, bottle bombs don’t sound so great. Duckydoo
I am impressed how many folks are interested in my stupidity, but I appreciate all the attention.

Actually it is a REALLY INTERESTING experiment. I am really curious what you end up with.

That’s what I’m thinking too. Think about the mistakes that originally lead to fermented grain water, and the methods used along the way. I’m thinking this will be an interesting and drinkable brew.

Never heard how it turned out is there more to this or what.

"I have been reluctant to disturb the beer while in the fermentor, I am aways concerned about opening up the environment and having contamination issues. "

Ok, I have been following through on this, and I have to agree a little with the person who asked, “is this a joke?”

How is it that you can be ultra-concerned about contamination issues, and yet, never think to boil your beer? I am not trying to be a jerk. But, at the very least, I would question whether you have adequately researched brewing beer. Anyone can make mistakes (god, knows I have made them over the years.) But, I guess my big question would be what kind of research have you done on brewing? Do you have any books? If you want to be a successful brewer, my #1 recommendation would be to buy, and read, John Palmer’s “How to Brew” book. It is a great beginner/intermediate book. Honestly, with adequate research and background, it should not even be possible to make the mistake you made. You boil 100% of the beers you ever make. No exceptions. We are not talking about missing a hop addition. Or, mashing a little outside the normal range. This is the single most fundamental part of brewing. Boil the wort. Always.

[quote=“Braufessor”]"I have been reluctant to disturb the beer while in the fermentor, I am aways concerned about opening up the environment and having contamination issues. "

Ok, I have been following through on this, and I have to agree a little with the person who asked, “is this a joke?”

How is it that you can be ultra-concerned about contamination issues, and yet, never think to boil your beer? I am not trying to be a jerk. But, at the very least, I would question whether you have adequately researched brewing beer. Anyone can make mistakes (god, knows I have made them over the years.) But, I guess my big question would be what kind of research have you done on brewing? Do you have any books? If you want to be a successful brewer, my #1 recommendation would be to buy, and read, John Palmer’s “How to Brew” book. It is a great beginner/intermediate book. Honestly, with adequate research and background, it should not even be possible to make the mistake you made. You boil 100% of the beers you ever make. No exceptions. We are not talking about missing a hop addition. Or, mashing a little outside the normal range. This is the single most fundamental part of brewing. Boil the wort. Always.[/quote]

Give the guy a break, I think he gets the point.

Besides, like the others, I am interested to see how it turns out.

Learn from this. Line up your process, even writing down the steps, if that helps. You have the equipment to make good beer, so let this one be the great experiment and move on to a system or set of steps that become easily repeatable. If time is an issue, consider a smaller batch - it will come to boil faster and chill faster. Mash time can be shortened, too, if you test for conversion. Best of luck with this one - maybe you will find that it is drinkable, maybe not, but either way, you will have learned a valuable lesson if you plan out your brew day on account of this “mishap”.

[quote=“Jon462”]Never heard how it turned out is there more to this or what.[/quote]Initial post was just a couple days ago, so we’ll be waiting a while longer to get results. :wink:

You are right Male-ale. Unnecessarily harsh on my part. Sorry about that Ducky-doo.

I do stand firmly with the “How to Brew” by palmer recommendation. If you have not invested in some brewing literature yet, you really need to get this. (it is on line in 1st edition for free). But, the actual book is great to have.

The instructions you get with your kits is simply not enough information to brew good beer consistently. So, if you are only relying on that, you need to get more, and better, info.

[quote=“Braufessor”]

The instructions you get with your kits is simply not enough information to brew good beer consistently. So, if you are only relying on that, you need to get more, and better, info.[/quote]

Actually, as an extract brewer for about a year, I found the NB instructions pretty good. If you follow them, you get good beer. I will admit that I also spent a lot of time reading and learning from books and from asking questions on this site, but that was to better understand what I was doing, not brew steps.

I agree on getting a good guide - Palmer’s book is a great start. Read it. Then you can find several good (but a few not so good) videos on YouTube that show each step in the process. Find the ones that follow the steps Palmer writes about. Then replicate them in your next batch. If you find you don’t have a piece of equipment you need, there are videos on making most items, saving the cost of buying new.

Do you have a way of checking the final gravity? If not, pick up a hydrometer at your local home brew store or online. When you think it’s done, check it several days in a row. Once it is fairly low and doesn’t change through about 3 checks, then bottle it. I would be cautious in how much sugar I use to prime the bottles. I personally like to charge each bottle so that I know exactly how much sugar is going in. If I make a syrup and stir it in, I am afraid I may get different consentrations between the top and the bottom of the bottling bucket. I would suggest you use the lower end of the recommended amount to avoid having a bottle bomb. Be sure everything from here on out is CLEAN.

I agree, keep us posted on this.

-Tom

NB has a no boil recipe. I just bottled and waiting to drink it. It felt wierd not to boil but I double checked with the shop and it is correct for the recipe. It stunk like rotten eggs something fierce. This will be my first sour. So keep it and give it a go.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/documenta ... weisse.pdf

[quote=“jimcoffey62”]If you held it above 160 F for a few minutes you pasteurized and should have killed most of the bugs.
If you added hops - the hops act as a preservative. If the yeast ferments - once the alcohol gets above 2-3% it tends to kill bacteria. Remember - people made beer as a way to make the water safer to drink.
RDWHAHB[/quote]

Brewing TV did an episode on a Scandanavian beer style that uses juniper in the mash, no hops, and no boil. The pasteurization would traditionally have been done in the mash ton as described above, though I think they did it in another vesel on the show.

Wait and see what happens

Has the original poster for this disapeared curious on how it turned out.

As has been said already, Berliner Weisse is often made no-boil. I make a Berliner Weisse that is quite similar to the Hefeweisse grain bill, mash hop, and run off into fermenters. I pitch Lacto and a neutral ale yeast, but a no-boil hefeweisse sounds pretty tasty. Bottle a case to drink soon, and a case with 1/2 the priming sugar to hold onto for a year.