What did you cook today?

I sit on the front porch with a home brew and a 22 lr watching for varmints. Too far away from the garden but the varmints usually show up under the bird feeders.

My wife would be very upset if I was shooting that close to the house she loves all critters. Itā€™s okay we have plenty food. Iā€™m waiting for the foxes and coyotes to cull some of them

I do my best to ā€œthin outā€ the gray squirrels when my wife is goneā€¦ Sneezles61

Salad, chicken breast schnitzel, boiled potatoes with parsley and turkey gravy. Had a cup of turkey gravy in the freezer from maybe last Thanksgiving. I slightly over did the gravy and had to remove some with a spoon. Rest for a little while then have cheese cake for dessert.

1 Like

Had a Snipe show up by the back door then these guys showed up night before last. 6 of 'em eating the Myrtle and Trumpet Vine.

2 Likes

Really? A snipe? Or a Woodcock? Either way, itā€™s probably not happy with this protracted snow coverā€¦Iā€™m a bird guy :grin:

Wait a minute wise guyā€¦ Theyā€™re pink, have long necksā€¦ Id sayā€¦ flamingoā€¦ Iā€™m not that color blind! :grin: Sneezles61

2 Likes

Hah, you know, I noticed the lawn flamingoes, but totally missed them, if you know what I mean. Woodcock (and Wilsonā€™s Snipe) are very early migrants to your area that are expecting wet pastures and meadows with a smorgasbord of invertebrates to dine onā€¦not snow.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a gunny sack and a stick readyā€¦ Now if I can stay up past darkā€¦ :sleeping: Sneezles61

1 Like

Here he is. Iā€™ve heard and seen Woodcock in the swale around the house but thought this guy was a Snipe since it has such a long bill. Perhaps Iā€™m off, I drink you knowā€¦ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Coolā€¦Iā€™m thinking woodcock based on the size of its head, and the extensive rufous in the flanks and thick barring on his head( you have to look closely at the photo) but Wilsons Snipe is very similar, for sure.

Did you cook the bird?

1 Like

Iā€™ll bet they both taste like chicken.

3 Likes

Nah, I felt sorry for the little guy. It was the day we got the 3ā€ of ice balls and cold north winds. He ended up huddled up next to the back boor.

1 Like

I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Especially with the rufous. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have a sneaky suspicion that the topic has derailed. Further investigation is needed to find out if this is true.

Adapted from Julia Childā€™s white bread recipe.

2 Likes

Guilty as chargedā€¦ LOL Those are beautiful!

And those little guys donā€™t taste like chickenā€¦ More like liverā€¦ BUT, with a big hunk of that bread Flars made, drenched in butterā€¦ perhaps a nice pint of strong Belgium aleā€¦ I wouldnā€™t noticeā€¦ :sunglasses: Sneezles61

Very nice @flars! We had a bread maker years ago that didnā€™t produce loaves nearly as tasty looking as yours so I kind of gave up. Your pic makes me want to try some more

We had a bread maker a number of years ago. It made bread but I wanted better bread. I bought a Kitchen Aid stand mixer for kneading the dough. Too much damage to my hands and wrists to do it by hand. Now I look forward to my morning toast.

This is the ingredient list for 2 two pound loaves.
All ingredients at room temperature
23 Ounces tap water (no chlorine)
35 Ounces bread flour
2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs canning/pickling salt
1/4 Cup dry milk powder
14 Grams instant yeast
4 Tbs softened butter