What did you cook today?

The end result was delicious and homemade tortillas sealed the deal. Next time I’ll make a variety of salsa instead of a single store bought kind.

4 Likes

Fresh caught Lake Erie Walleye 2 nights in a row. A real treat in NYC where no one knows anything about fresh water fish.
Tonight we made fish tacos.

5 Likes

Lake Erie Perch, Walleye and Great Lakes area Smelt…(and lots of migratory birds and Michigan/Ohio craft beer)…gets me thinking…hitting our old vacation spots in NW Ohio as we’re both vaccinated and thinking about a direct flight to Ohio in May…

Chicken Cordon Bleu for the wife’s bday

And a chocolate fudge mint poke cake for dessert :innocent:

:beers:
Rad

4 Likes

Holy Oh My Lord… I’m drooling…
Sneezles61

2 spelt sourdough, Jared 6 quarts sourkraut and brewed a beer

5 Likes

Nice raise on that bread. Do you use steam? I do with my breads.

Yes i do normally. Been sifting the flour from my barley crush and tossing that in as well. Just like brewing always experimenting

2 Likes

We made our best attempt at Bánh mi. It’s hard to beat the specialized Banh Mi shops in our area but we came close. Bread choice is key to a good Banh Mi because that’s what the word means, bread. After that pickled daikon, cucumbers and carrots merged with marinated chicken and hot sauce for the perfect combination. Banh Mi is one of the top 10 sandwiches of all time.

We quick pickled everything and I think it is a preferable technique instead of actual salt brine pickling

3 Likes

Man that looks good! I agree on the quick pickling as well. Been doing that a lot lately and really enjoying the result from such a quick and easy process.

1 Like

What’s quick picking? No fermentation?

It’s a very light fermentation if any. Mostly vinegar, some salt but not as much as a lacto-ferment and some sugar. 24-48 hours only.

So your not getting the health benefits

I’ve been taking in too much salt lately so I think this is actually healthier for me. I can get the probiotic part through all my other forms of fermentation.

1 Like

My granny always said have something sour with your meal for your stomach. By sour she meant her picked cucumber, cabbage or whatever. Not sure she knew about probiotics

1 Like

24 quick pickling might be sour enough for your gran

Yeah probably because she used home fermened vinigar

I’ve been doing an even quicker “pickling” method for things like pickled onions or even cukes. A white wine or rice wine vinegar, a little sugar, salt to taste, microwave for 30 seconds and let it sit while you finish dinner. Great topping for rice bowls, noodles, tacos.

Of course you don’t get the benefits of fermented veggies but it mocks the taste, consistency and is fast if you don’t have fermented ones around and want a nice sour garnish.

1 Like

My sister makes some kind of saurkraut in an instapot. I have an old fermemt bucket ive dedicated to saurkraut. I think I’ll do a bucket of pickles this year. Takes 2-3 weeks. Just need to get a pipeline going like beer.

I have a big crock for fermenting cabbage. Only used it a few times but it works well because it has the big pieces of crockery to weigh down the cabbage and keep it submerged. i’m not very experienced at i and honestly don’t enjoy the process because I feel like somethings going to go wrong and I’ll make people sick. haha