What did you cook today?

Guess what we made for lunch yesterday with fresh local grown tomatoes.

2 Likes

Bacon burger with lettuce and tomato?

2 Likes

Chocolate chip cookies cut table sugar in half and use maple syrup… My wife has been tinkering with the recipe… I suspect you can cut out more refined sugar and up maple syrup… Damn good cookies!!!
Sneezles61

1 Like

Smoked lamb shoulder

1 Like

Not a bad idea. Too late though. The bacon seems to have vanished.

Is there some kinda sign the peppers are done? Been almost 10 days now… :roll_eyes:
Sneezles61

I am in love with this Netflix show called “Taco Chronicles “

So much to learn about tacos! I slow cooked brisket and we made corn tortillas from masa.
I need to up my salsa game however.

4 Likes

My wife makes great salsa. Pretty sure we use the same ingredients, tomatoes, chopped chiles, lemon juice and cilantro, but hers is always better.

No onions?
Sneezles61

1 Like

Had to use our tomatoes up

4 Likes

I knew I was forgetting something…

The one month drought followed by biblical rains here was hard on my garden. I never caught back up with the weeding.

I’m going to reclaim that garden space and build raised beds. for next spring. Got to move a few raspberries to do so though…we’ll see how that goes.

3 Likes

Raised beds have been amazing for lack of weeding. Whenever I build a new set of them, I want to dig in a nice drip system and put it on a timer

1 Like

I am going to remodel our garden… I have raised beds… Now I’d like to do them with tin… They will be about 28" tall… Right now they are 2x12’s… Still gotta get on my hands and knees…
Perhaps next spring when I get to building, I’ll post my efforts… 3’ x 6’ is a good size… We use a some what French intense gardening approach…
Sneezles61

Lets continue the raised bed discussion here

https://forum.northernbrewer.com/t/garden-plans-for-2021/29046

1 Like

Today I cooked dog food. I’ve been making “human grade” dog food for our Pitbull Bella for about a month now. I alternate between 3 lbs ground beef, ground pork and/or ground turkey with 1 1/2 cups brown rice (precooked) along with 1 zucchini and 2 carrots shredded in the food processor, a few cups of chopped spinach and half cup each of frozen green beans/peas, sprinkled with a couple tablespoons of evoo or fish oil. Sometimes I’ll put some sweet potatoes or pumpkin in as well and in the morning I put a scoop of plain yogurt in her bowl for calcium and probiotics. I cook up a batch and keep it in a large Tupperware container in the fridge. Bella is about 55 lbs so based on her macros she gets about 1 1/4 cups twice a day.

We’ve tried all kinds of very expensive dog food over the years and I’ve considered making their food a few times but when we had 3 dogs, one of which was 160 lbs, it was daunting to consider. Bella loves this and seems to be thriving on it with fewer digestive issues, clear skin and a shiny coat.

I bought 7.5 lbs of ground beef at Costco for $17 yesterday. Turkey is a little more expensive. I haven’t really calculated in detail but I figure roughly <$15 per batch which lasts 7-10 days.

4 Likes

With a face like that… You’d have to have to make that for her!!! :hugs:
Sneezles61

1 Like

That looks pretty good even for us humans. Lucky girl!

Well, there was that one day I had nothing for lunch…

2 Likes

Got this pickling crock today and made some kimchi.

3 Likes

That’s awesome!!!