What did you cook today?

Chopped up about a lb of fresno peppers in the food processor. Put them into a quart mason jar with a few garlic cloves and then cover with a salt water brine. 3 tablespoons of kosher salt to 1 quart of distilled water. Covered the peppers completely with the brine and sealed the jar . You have to burp the jars every day to release the pressure and after about a week it gets cloudy and the fermentation slows down. I waited 10 days and then blended it with some of the brine and a little vinegar to taste. Reminds me alot of Sriracha, which is also a fermented hot sauce

1 Like

When you say hotā€¦ More than Tabasco sauce?
Sneezles61

Definitely and not as vinegar forward. You can use milder peppers and more vinegar though. Pretty sure Tabasco is fermented as well

Not a fan of ā€œhotā€ hot sauceā€¦ This scandahoovian likes maple syrup bestā€¦ But something close to chaloulo, yepā€¦ Weā€™ll look at the next farmers market for some peppersā€¦ Mild of course!
Sneeles61

I tried making hot sauce a couple years ago but not the fermenation method. Iyll go to the farm market and source some peppers. I have a ton of dried from last year would the work?

The really hot, hot sauces just tear me up these days. The guy who hosts the Super Bowl party always does a hot chili and a mild chili. The hot chili has Carolina reaper and ghost peppers in it. I have to cut it with the other stuff about half-and-half especially when Iā€™m drinking or I end up with intractable hiccups. :confounded::fire::fire:

1 Like

You can definitely use dried peppers. Rehydrate them in vinegar before using them. If you want fermented sauce you will have to use some fresh peppers I believe for the lacto on them

1 Like

They are pretty hot so maybe put some sweet peppers and maybe a tomato. I should have plenty of those shortly

I suppose it looks funny to use green Annahiem peppersā€¦ Green colored sauceā€¦
Sneezles61

These are fermented serrano peppers I did at the same time. Anaheim and hatch chilies are great flavor additions

3 Likes

Add some some carrots as well for color and flavor. I usually through in a few when I make instant pot hot sauce

I got a couple of nice boneless pork chops the other day. About the size of a filet mignon and maybe 3/4-1ā€™ thick. Decided to cook them with some rice for dinner tonight. I lightly coated them in flour and seasoned them with cumin, coriander, garam masala, paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper. Heated up the cast iron skillet on med high and seared them on one side then lowered the heat to med low, flipped the pork chops and covered them for about 5 minutes until they reached 160f, put them on a plate and tented them with foil. Deglaced the skillet with apple cider vinegar and a little sherry cooked that down and added chicken stock and blue agave syrup and a couple teaspoons of corn starch mixed into cold water. A little salt and pepper and it was a really nice sauce. I was starving so I forgot to take a picture but it was just pork chops with brown sauce and white rice. haha. Man it was tasty though.

2 Likes

You guys fā€™in kill me! What a bunch and thanks for the inspiration!!

1 Like

Have you looked into MasonTops. Itā€™s a silicone lid that fits on a mason jar that relieves pressure as it ferments.
Iā€™ve been using them for fermented pickles and sauerkraut.

1 Like

Nice. I havent seen those. Pretty sweet though. Thanks

You think this will work as a fermenter. self burping

5 Likes

I think it will work and a great idea.

Iā€™ve been recently getting into kombucha and fermenting vegetables. The crazy thing is how lax you can be with sanitization. Never once heard of people sanitizing anything to do with kombucha. I tend to do it just as a habit and because I have starsan around all the time. The few things Iā€™ve read about peppers and veggies is just say to make sure they are submerged so @brew_cat is spot on with that.

So why is it to be better?
Sneezles61

I have just started with Kombucha and have been lazy with it as well when compared to my beer. I am curious to see if the Sac yeast that originally came from my friends starter gets bumped out by my yeasts floating around.
The acidity of the tea in Kombucha and the vinegar in the pickling process is part of the reason one can be so lax.

1 Like