What did you cook today?

Please dont

As you wish. Four hours into about 7.5 hours.

2 Likes

Damn you.

Your going to cook that for 7 1/2 hrs. Thatā€™s well done no

The time and temperature seems way off today. Almost done now at 5.5 hours. Turned the heat down to 225Ā°F from 325Ā°F and covered with foil. Donā€™t want to let it go over 185Ā°F. Another half hour at max for this one.

Iā€™ll write a recipe down this time.

Its quite similar to a brisketā€¦ low and slowā€¦ When doing a Boston butt, I usually keep it 225*, but I want it to come up to 195* internal tempā€¦ it becomes melt in your mouth doneā€¦ Geez, Iā€™m drooling now Flars!! I think I can almost smell it too! Sneezles61

1 Like

I did it wrong. It is too tender to slice. Just sort of falls off onto the serving platter.

1 Like

Wrong? thatā€™s how Boston butt is best served!

1 Like

OOOO, on a slab of rye bread, topped with some Swiss cheese, a little black pepperā€¦ naw, alot of black pepper, a scooner of PA! Iā€™m there!! Sneezles61

Made meatloaf last night. Had some kinda flat BVIP left over from a weekend trip so I SautƩed onions, green peppers, and mushrooms in it and some butter. Mixed them in with the ground meat. A very interesting and delicious glaze formed on top during baking. Definitely a winner. :heart_eyes::sunglasses:

1 Like

Picture??

Absolutely @loopie_beer. Itā€™s hard to even lift mine off the smoker without it falling apart. Havenā€™t done a butt in a few months but I have a brisket soaking in brine thatā€™s gonna become pastrami for Super Bowl party. Just got done kegging NEIPA batch 3 with Galaxy, Mosaic and Citra. Fingers crossed for both meat and beverage

I cooked an egg. Tonight going to grill a pork loin

Cold out of the fridge today. (Sammich time!)

1 Like

Need a good bun to hold a load of juicy pulled pork. Samā€™s Club has a bun called the gourmet. Itā€™s a good one for pulled pork. Iā€™ve been searching for a recipe like it. Any recipe that is described as ā€œso light and fluffyā€ is by passed. The bun needs a substantial structure with a very open crumb.

Yesterday thought I would investigate ciabatta as a possible candidate. First try with no dimples.

Edible but not what I was looking for. Too thin. Will try again. Use bread flour in the biga to eliminate some of the pancake flavor that all purpose flour adds. Cut back on the baking powder and add a little active dry yeast. Finally go with a single rise for an open crumb and more height.

Last night turkey noodle soup with baking powder biscuits. No picture.

What happens when you omit the water and use some of your brew? I asked my wife to tryā€¦ she seems to turn a deaf ear on meā€¦ Some day when I get ā€œolderā€, Iā€™ll have the time to make bread! :smirk: Sneezles61

Saturday we finally had our Christmas party. Late enough it also became a New Years party and a birthday party. King crab, hash browns, and home made bread. Wheat beers before and white zinfandel with the meal. Brew kettle needed again for regular kitchen duty.

Today I made a stock from the broken up shells.

edit: Crab leg shells do not make a good stock like shrimp shells. Taste like brackish water. Dumped.

I havenā€™t had crab legs for so longā€¦ Sneezles61

Reverse seared another steak this afternoon. This one turned out even better. Solved the problem of plates being too small. Use a second on the side. Boiled and buttered russets with parsley.

More discussion of reverse searing a steak here. Next will need to experiment with sous vide to warm the steak before pan searing as @mhall2013 mentioned.

Friday evening kept it simple with pan fried tilapia fillets with buttered potatoes topped with parsley. Salads were already gone when I thought to take a picture.

I like potatoes especially with chives or parsley. Used to spend a couple bucks for a little bunch that was just enough for one meal. No more. My grow is a little sparse this year but I have garlic chives, a new pot of onion (Allium sp.) chives started, and enough parsley to last until the garden produces.

Screened all around to keep the cats out. They are also fond of herbs.

1 Like

We usually take in the rosemaryā€¦ It keeps growing for a long timeā€¦ I too enjoy potatoes with only herbs on themā€¦ And crusty bread with olive oil and herbs, grilled!.. We arenā€™t doing salads as the greens up in the stores here are sub parā€¦ We are very anxious to get leafy greens coming upā€¦ Sneezles61