What did you cook today?

Tonight’s entree, enchilada bake.

1 Like

Braised short ribs in stout all day, made some gravy out of the juices in the pot. Homerun.

4 Likes

I’m on a continuing quest to cook the perfect omelet and I just about did it today. Fluffy and pale yellow, no brown. Caramelized onions, diced prosciutto, and red peppers in the center.

1 Like

We had the sirloin for breakfast that we were supposed to cook last night for dinner but alcohol got in the way. :grinning:

3 Likes

You’ll have that. :joy:

Made our Christmas Eve prime rib using a new approach, kind of a flipped idea. Salt/pepper/garlic rub then roasted it in the oven on low heat (lowest ours goes is 170F) for 6+ hours until center was 120F. Took it out for a 30 minute rest then back in about 15 minutes before we were ready to serve at 550F for about 6 minutes to crisp up the outside. Super juicy, nice crust, and the inside was done to perfection with a minimum layer of meat cooked beyond medium rare. Sorry no pics.

1 Like

Kind of like doing a reverse sear on a steak. Sounds great!

We did our traditional Christmas eve doctored up grocery store pizza. Although Publix take and bake are pretty good without adding extras.

For Christmas I did a couple of racks of ribs in the smoker with sides of beans and coleslaw. For years we always cooked a prime rib with all the fixins but for just two the ribs were pretty tasty and a lot less work.

I left the smoker out and have a pork loin in the fridge ready for this weekend. Maybe I will remember to takes a pic or two of that before its half gone.

2 Likes

We had two of the three kids home along with my mom and MIL, so Christmas eve we cooked a big slab of salmon with a feta, lemon zest and herb topping, a couple pounds of shrimp marinated and broiled, broccoli caserole and a bunch of roasted root veggies. My daughter made a really good butter cake with chocolate butter cream frosting.

Christmas day we always have a big brunch and since the kids are all adults now we’ve been going to an afternoon movie. My daughter hates Star Wars so we let her pick this year and we saw Knives Out. Must’ve been decent, I didn’t fall asleep. haha

o
Rotisserie ham and oatmeal stout I brewed back in July

5 Likes

That looks awesome!!
Sneezles61

I planned to try a new chili recipe that had bbq sauce in it but when I got to the store for ingredients I decided it sounded too sweet. So instead I made something more similar to my usual.

1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1 big yellow onion
2 big poblano peppers
1 habanero pepper
3 large cloves garlic
cumin
paprika
chili powder
black pepper
salt
2 22oz cans crushed organic tomatoes
2 small cans organic tomato paste
1 14oz can tomato sauce
2 14oz cans light red kidney beans
1 pint irish ale or beer of your choice
olive oil

Saute onions and peppers in olive oil until soft, add garlic and spices and saute for 30 seconds or so until aromatic, add beef and pork, stir and cook until it’s no longer pink, add beer and cook a couple minutes, add beans, tomatoes, paste and sauce, salt, pepper and more chile powder to taste. Sometimes I use adobo to give it more smoky flavor but didn’t have any today.

Turned out pretty good and quite spicy. Having trouble uploading a picture for some reason but it looks like chili.

Got it!

4 Likes

Uploading…
Getting ready to BBQ this enormous ribeye on my traeger. We are having a raging wind storm so should be fun. Wouldn’t mind a side of that chili to go with!

Wife’s aunt gave us some local lamb. Made a lamb stew for the first time last night. Turned out amazing! We also have a package of chops, can’t wait!

Aw geez, I just bum out about lamb chops… My son liked watching that when he grew up…
Sneezles61

3 Likes

Son made Spam Carbonara. Fricking delicious!

1 Like

I’ve been using this starchy water technique with my pasta and it makes a delicious difference.

I’ll pass that along. Thanks for the info!

Funny. Growing up my father ALWAYS did that. He never strained the pasta. Another thing he would do is save the water from boiling potatoes for gravy. Man ahead of his time I guess!

3 Likes

We use potato water but never thought about the pasta water…DUH! Looking forward to the next time we make some pasta. Thanks again @squeegeethree !

2 Likes