What did you cook today?

Too late to change. Have to go ahead.

So far today oatmeal with a banana cut up in it, apple cider and a black coffee. Later I plan an experiment with a bag of wings. Rinse wings in the bag they came in. Add brine for 20-30 min and discard. Add dry rub, not sure which or a combination of Dinosaur BBQ (local rib joint) or Tony Chachereā€™s, shake up the bag then on the smoker for 4-6 hours.

Our smoker is a Brinkman stainless steel charcoal converted to electric. When it was charcoal it had two speeds, burn and raw. With the electric it is more reliable but painfully slow. Thatā€™s OK though. Low and slow then if not done a short time on the grill.

1 Like

Definitely want to know how the wings turn out. Have had a bag of frozen wings in the freezer for a few months now.

I trust all goes wellā€¦ Sneezles61

Iā€™ve been contemplating making an electric out of doors grillā€¦ Seems time is short, and I canā€™t catch upā€¦ I use a weber charcoal grill some smoking and regular grillingā€¦ I can throttle that sucker down to 200, and keep it thereā€¦ Sneezles61

Here is the finished product. Came out pretty tasty. The brine kept in the moisture but made the skin a little tough on some. I used Tonyā€™s for spice mostly because I was out of the Dinosaur. Went easy on the spice so the flavor was there but not over done.

My wife suggested skipping the brine next time so I will either do that or back off on how much. It was a nice departure from deep fried wings anyway.

3 Likes

Went to Temple Army game at West point today. It was a 12:00 kickoff so did Canadian bacon egg and cheese sandos on the tailgate

I enjoy grilling my wings with salt and pepper. Then adding various sauces at the end, and sometimes even grilling them with the sauce on! Takes 45 mins to and hour to cook them to my liking, but they are so good. Less fat too compared to deep frying.

I would grill/smoke with the propane grill before I had a smoker. Five pounds of chicken leg quarters done on the grill. Small cast iron pans worked well with the small sized wood chips. Held heat well after getting blazing hot during grill warm up. Marinade the chicken in extra light virgin olive oil, salt and pepper for a crisp skin.
Had done some baby back ribs also on the grill. The ribs were the impetus for getting a dedicated smoker.

1 Like

Tonight was pork loin schnitzel with brussel sprouts and au gratin potatoes. Potatoes were left over from Wednesday night when I found no eggs to make the schnitzel for that nights meal.

1 Like

I havenā€™t had any ā€œold rottenā€ potatoes in a long long timeā€¦ They were always sooo good! We will have a roast for the crock tomorrow. We like to cook on top of big old carrot butts, so I think those potatoes would be a great accent too! Thanks Flars! Sneezles61

A long time ago on the farm we had carrots in the garden. Like you do the big ones were under the roast in the dutch oven. Wish I still had that big cast iron dutch oven.

1 Like

Last night was smoked ribs with green beans and baked potato.

I tried Americas Test Kitchen recipe for the perfect baked potato. No difference from a potato baked long and slow except for a skin that was too salty to eat. My baked garden green beans were also bad. Dried them too much. Same moisture content as the bread crumb/cheese topping. I ate them. Wife wouldnā€™t. Have to experiment sometimes to get the perfect recipe.

Took three Speckled Heifers to get to the plates being filled.

2 Likes

Venison BBQs for camp next week :yum: :

2 Likes

If I could take a picture to shareā€¦ an Oscar Meyer hotdog and a white bun with a miller lightā€¦ well, I really wouldnā€™t do that to any of your eyesā€¦ Seeing is too valuable !!! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Sneezles61

1 Like

I have learned two things about using our Weber gas grill. First turn it down. High drys out and over cooks. Medium works better for almost everything. Second use a thermometer. I have an Alpha Grillers (Thermapen knock off) that also helps me not over cook.

Last night was stuffed clams. Iā€™d post a picture but you can just go to Aldi and look at them in the freezer. Night before was a couple of rib eyes. Amazing how little of that you get for $25. We donā€™t buy them often but boy are they good.

2 Likes

I hear you on groceries! Man, since I retired I do the grocery shopping and Iā€™ve definitely become more conscious of prices. LOL

1 Like

Iā€™m retired also and do all the cooking. I do my best to keep meals to about $3 per plate. Nutrition is paramount. A couple times a year each plate will be about $30 when king crab is the main course for a family holiday season meal.

Have a 9.5 pound half Boston butt in the oven for supper tonight. There will be a lot of left overs for pulled pork meals. On sale yesterday for $1.29 a pound. Canā€™t get it anymore at less than a dollar a pound.

I promised myself I wouldnā€™t look at this post because it makes me hungry. Damn I took a peek

1 Like

I could post a picture of the Boston butt thatā€™s in the oven??

1 Like