What did you cook today?

I made chicken and sausage gumbo today. Maybe I’ll take a pic of the leftovers tomorrow…or the next day…I made a lot.

1 Like

Looks great.

Good morning brisket

3 Likes

Got one planned for Saturday. Labor Day weekend, opening of college football, supposed to be fantastic weather… couldn’t ask for more!

1 Like

2 Likes

It’s amazing how much they shrink! Sneezles61

1 Like

Just fired up my smoker to get the heat ready. Tomorrow around 5am the coals will be hot and ready for the chips and I’ll add the brisket.

Getting geared up for the games!

3 Likes

I have a couple of racks of ribs in the fridge destined for my smoker. Just need a non-rainy day.

1 Like

Does anyone here make their own sausage and/or cheese? These are going to be a few of my new endeavors for the new year. I got into bread making for a few months but it wasnt really my favorite process. Love making beer, hot sauce and jams; also a beekeeper so I get great honey but I’d really like to start up sausage and cheese. Curious if anyone here does this as well.

I make summer sausage and pep sticks from venison when I’m lucky enough to fill my tag. Pretty easy once you master stuffing the casing and smoking it.

That’s awesome! I’m just now getting into big game hunting and have plenty of friends who share game meat with me so I wanted to give it a try. I’ve only been an upland bird hunter and an avid salmon/ steelhead fisherman up until this season. Sausage making looks incredible though and a great way to use the entire animal. Lots of public hunting land here in Oregon and the archery season is about a month long, in which time, you can harvest either sex and hunt statewide

I’m a few hours north of Seattle so I’m very familiar with the pacific northwest cuisine (salmon, blacktail deer, grouse, etc.) Going straight into archery is a bold move, you’ll be happy you did though. Seems there is always more action when I’m hunting archery.

1 Like

Thanks @Angrybear I have been shooting a bow over the last two years just trying to get confident in my shot placement. Washington state is miraculous! Planning on hiking the enchantments trail next summer

I used to raise a hog every year about 40 yrs ago and my German grandpa showed me how to make sausage from different parts I probably wouldn’t have used. Of course we made sausages from meat chunks. But the sausage that I remember liking the best was made with livers and rice. I can’t remember the spices we used but I’m sure paprika was involved. I’m not a hunter but friends have me venison sausages they made. I remember using intestine casing. I still have the grinder with the tube . Just filled them and twist tied them as they came off. It was fun

1 Like

Yeh @brew_cat liverwurst is amazing.

Archery hunting is up close and personal. Working to get close to critters your hunting gets you close to lots of others. I’ve bowhunted for 35 years and have experienced some amazing things. A couple of weeks ago I had a Lynx run under my tree stand. Enjoy!

2 Likes

That’s awesome. I just saw my first black bear last time I went grouse hunting. What an experience

Roast pork tenderloin with prune/fig/apricot glaze. Had some salad and baked beans to round it out and a glass of Shiraz. That’s a balsami vinegar butter sauce on the side.

2 Likes

Dude that looks awesome! I’m starving, got any leftovers?!