What Can I Use for a Blow Off Tube on the Brew Bucket?

I have a very active fermentation and it’s bubbling out the star san from the S type airlock. The Brew Buckets only have a small hole for the airlock. What can be used for a blow off tube? Can I use the transfer tube or is that too small?

You can use any tubing you want as long as it fits snugly into the grommet/hole on the bucket list. It’s probably best to use a firm/rigid tubing so that it won’t accidentally close/squish… I only say this because in some applications I use some softer tubing. The normal tubing you get with brew kits would work just fine, that’s what I normally use. Just make sure it’s sanitized inside and out, and go from there

2 Likes

If you have a 3 piece airlock, you can take the bottom piece of one and put a 3/8" (I think) hose on it.

If you have no hose just loosen the lid in one area enough to vent the pressure. If everything is coming out with CO2 it’s not likely you’ll get anything IN.

1 Like

I snapped off the top of an S style bubbler and used it by shoving it backwards through my port/stopper. That way I am connecting to the manufactured taper side rather that the clunky part I snapped off.

2 Likes

You do have to be careful using airlock tubes because some of them can plug up with krausen and trub if they do go over. I’ve had that happen and it blew the lid off my fermenter or stopper out of the lid.Keep an eye on it. :eyes:

2 Likes

In that pic it’s just a tube. No airlock aspect of it left so it’s more of an adapter than anything else.

1 Like