What books have you all read?

I am looking for my next book on homebrewing, and I need your advice on what that next good book should be. I’ve read Papazian’s Joy of Homebrewing, Companion, Brewer’s Gold, Palmer’s How to Brew (this one got me into AG) and Dave Miller’s Homebrewing Guide. I’ve also read Lutzen’s and Steven’s Brew Ware and Fischer’s Homebrewer’s Garden. I’m looking for more technically advanced reading, but if there’s still a good basic level read that adds information the other books didn’t provide, I’d read that too. Thank you.

I just finished reading Beyond the Basics, by Mike Karnowski. It’s a pretty good read.

Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels was the catalyst for me to become a MUCH better brewer.

BYO magazine had an article a few issues back that recomended books the all home brewers should read/have…Might could check that out… I,m gonna recheck myself…Tank :cheers:

My personal favorite is Brewing Classic Styles by JZ and JP. While not a straight read cover-to-cover type book it’s been invaluable in brewing beers of less popular styles. I use these as a baseline for a bunch of my personal recipes. Anything you brew out of this book will be a excellent beer.

If you’re into IPA’s at all, I suggest Mitch Steele’s IPA book. Very interesting history and analysis of IPA’s.

Looks like we’ve read many of the same books, recently I read Yeast by Chris White and Jamil. Pretty deep, I took it slow. Most important read for me yet. Some things I already know and do, but so many more I didn’t. This was a game changer for me.

VERY good!

Sounds like you’re ready for “Experimental Homebrewing” by some guy who hangs around here. Not just recipes and brewing info, but scientific evaluation techniques so you can be sure you’re getting the most out of the effort you put into a brew.

I’m reading “Brew Like a Monk” by Stan Hieronymus now. Great read! Informative and entertaining.

Also read For the Love of Hops by Hieronymus and Yeast by Chris White and Jamil Zainasheff - enjoyed both as well.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

If you’re looking for the more technical info., get the Brewing Elements Series books. I have ‘Yeast’ and ‘Water’, waiting on ‘Hops’ and ‘Malt’. Definitely all the technical info. you could want. You might want to pick up a highlighter… :mrgreen:

The Brew Master’s Bible. Very good book… :cheers:

Radical Brewing by Randy Mosher.

So far the best combination of entertaining read and solid brewing info I’ve found in a book. But I’m looking forward to reading some of the other books listed above.

Does anyone know if the Brewing Elements Series is actually sold as a set? Just wondering if it’s possible to get a package deal. Thanks.

Sounds like you’re ready for “Experimental Homebrewing” by some guy who hangs around here. Not just recipes and brewing info, but scientific evaluation techniques so you can be sure you’re getting the most out of the effort you put into a brew.

Life begins at 60…1.060, that is.

www.dennybrew.com

Available at Amazon? I’d like to check it out.

I may be in the minority but I couldn’t finish the Hops book by Stan Hieronymus. I read about a quarter of it but couldn’t stay it awake it was soooooo dry. At least up the point I read, the book really just focused on the horticultural history of hops which to a brewer is pretty useless info. It may be interesting to some but bored me to tears.

My wife bought me the whole 13 volumes of beer style books put out by the AHA eons ago. I thought they were pretty good at the time. I recently went back to one of the books and was amazed at the lack of specific details in the brewing process, especially water ions. They’re good for history and style descriptions, but not much else.

[quote=“tnelson2002”]Sounds like you’re ready for “Experimental Homebrewing” by some guy who hangs around here. Not just recipes and brewing info, but scientific evaluation techniques so you can be sure you’re getting the most out of the effort you put into a brew.

Life begins at 60…1.060, that is.

http://www.dennybrew.com

Available at Amazon? I’d like to check it out.[/quote]

Yep. Both Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

And that was the best one in the series! Yeast and water are not only deadly dull, but not even really aimed at homebrewers. We tried to make Experimental Homebrewing the antidote to those books…loaded with useful info, but also fun to read.

And that was the best one in the series! Yeast and water are not only deadly dull, but not even really aimed at homebrewers. We tried to make Experimental Homebrewing the antidote to those books…loaded with useful info, but also fun to read.[/quote]

I haven’t started the Water book yet. The Yeast book was helpful for me cause I learned a lot about yeast behavior and the reproduction process but it was definitely geared toward professional brewers with homebrewers as an afterthought. I completely skipped the section on having your own yeast lab…I’m not buying a microscope. I’ll just buy another packet/vial of yeast and problem solved!