What are you drinking now

Well if it does really well ask for royalties

1 Like

I’m sitting in my truck people watching on the boardwalk drinking my “I’ll be Bock’” listening to Eleanor Rigby

3 Likes

Picks up the rice in the church where the wedding has been. :musical_note:

Great Bavarian Weissbier project 2020 carbed and delicious, still missing a bit of depth but that I believe can be improved through better mash step control which I’m still learning how to do. Didn’t get it all the way up to 151 after rest at 122, only hit 147 and by end of mash was down to 142, which would explain the FG of 1.004 instead of my target of 1.016.

:beers:
Rad

4 Likes

Good looking beer. What yeast? Can you share the recipe?

I had the same problem raising the temperature on my weissbier but I actually liked the results.

6 lbs pale wheat
4.9 lbs pilsner
5.5 oz melanoidin malt

.7 oz hallertauer 60 mins
.2 oz hallertauer 15 mins

mash at 122 for 20 mins, then step up to 150 for 60 mins

WLP300 yeast

Rad

3 Likes

I gotta ask. Why couldn’t you sneak in an extra .1 lb and make it 5 lbs Pilsner. :laughing:

3 Likes

I don’t even think my scale would notice

It’s been so long since I put this into my software, I may have scaled it down using my software from the original version I pulled together from the original Great Bavarian Weissbier project thread from our original forums back in the day. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I can’t remember the original batch size.

Rad

Might skew the “I remember that brew” brain cell… maybe? Or not…
Sneezles61

Mosaic IPA from our host. Fermented with Voss. Dry hopping free range soooo much better than my Depth Charge that I doubt I’ll use it for dry hopping again.

1 Like

Sampling my hefeweizen. Needed something other than an IPA on tap. Tried burst carbing this morning still needs a little more. Flavor is good. Really heavy sulphur note while fermenting. Raised the temp to help release it. Slight note still I’ll try burping the keg a few times. Overall pretty tasty.

Forgive me on the glassware. I’ll break out the right glass when the carbonation is better.

3 Likes

I just made a hefeweizen as well.

5 lbs weyermann pale wheat
4 lbs weyermann pilsner
1 lb weyermann vienna

1 oz Tettnanger at 60 min these were only 2.7 AA so around 8 IBU according to BS.

Wyeast 3068

Still working on getting mash temp dialed in on my electric system but did a single infusion at 152 give or take for 60 mins.

I would like to try melanoidin malt as well but don’t have any on hand. Next attempt I’d like to add a little more color and all a little extra malt to bring up the OG just a little.

I have some Dingemans Belgian Aromatic malt anyone know if that would work? Did a quick search and it says maybe it’s an intense Vienna vs intense Munich (Melanoidin). Or else I have some Briess bonlander munich.

Color is right

Yeah, I used melanoidin as I’m nervous about trying a decoction as I can’t even manage a step mash properly yet. This just seemed easier for now. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: For reference my OG was 1.052, which was a bit low, target was 1.06. Still some things to clean up in my process for the next batch of this. Always worth tweaking to learn and improve. :innocent:

@squeegeethree I was curious about the depth charge for dry hopping, you noticed a significant difference in free range dry hopping? Aroma, flavor, or both? I typically dry hop in keg, but some beers I dry hop in carboy first, then add more in muslin sacks in keg.

Rad

Yes mine was about 10 points lower if I remember correctly. I was shooting for 1.048 and messed my volumes up and my boil off is much lower on my electric system.

@radagast this is my first free range dry hop in 2 years. I just dumped 2 oz of Mosaic (7 days) directly in the fermenter. The flavor and aroma are decidedly better than what I am used to with the depth charge.
I used a spigot on the fermenter instead of a siphon and stopped just short of the floating mat of hops. There was no transfer of hop material out of the fermenter, none, so why bother with any restriction to to hops.

1 Like

Knot Today IPA

5 Likes

Nice stack of read materials for the quarantine. I’m going through a stack myself. Starting Tolstoy war and peace today. Beautiful looking beer

My recently brewed AZ Copper Ale. This is my second time brewing this simple recipe of 2-row, Copper carapils and Citra hops. Refreshing brew during these times of binge watching Netflix, completing over due “honey-do” list, and yes - drinking beer.

5 Likes