What are you drinking now

Kicking off the new year with a nice Kolsch. A very welcome break from some of the heavy winter beers I’ve been drinking.

Didn’t picture you so young

5 Likes

Cute kid.
I’m drinking the last of an all Brett fermented cider from 3 years ago. Slight oxidation plays well with the Brett which has mellowed with age.

1 Like

My wife got me a few books on cider making. As a native of Washington state I feel it is my duty to have a solid cider in my arsenal of brews. Hoping to start that journey very soon.

2 Likes

A repeating theme… Sorry. Big Mo

2 Likes

That one looks darker than the last. Why are they always sideways.

I don’t know why they turn. Seems to be when I load them from my phone. I downloaded it and turned it 90.

I’ve been in Colorado since last week drinking only Colorado beers. Only been to one local brewery but had quite a few different cans. Never disappointed in Ska beers. I can’t get them back east. Going to Vail today there is a place there that we go has alot of local beer on tap I’ll report in later

3 Likes

Jealous. They’re having a great early ski season! I always liked the Breckenridge Brewery’s Avalanche ale.

Well I’m in DIA having a Odd13 Noob Hazy IPA is this one of yours @WMNoob

What? Mr. Noob has his name on a brew? He advanced quite quickly!
Sneezles61

1 Like

http://www.odd13brewing.com/content/beers/n00b.html

That’s hysterical!

I’ve just about finished drinking all of a IIPA I made using the South African hops… Southern Star, African Queen, and Southern Passion, in traditional 10min and 5 min roles with Cashmere supporting with 60min (trying to finish my supply) and 15min. The result is a very fruity and balanced bitter without the juice bomb cloud of haze. Also this beer seemed to be more stable than my most recent NEIPAs which I also used Kriek strains on.

Stability. That is something I haven’t been able to achieve with the NEIPA. Maybe I don’t drinkem fast enough

I see those hops are available again right now @squeegeethree. Care to share the recipe?

Sure, but keep in mind that this recipe is trying to use up an abundance of Cashmere Leaf that if I did not have I would have substituted for the 60 min. Also this is a 6 Gallon recipe that was made BIAB so I got lazy with the wheat and went with DME. My Hop scheduling tries to take into account that my wort chiller is a tad slower than most people’s and increases contact. My OG was off on this which was a surprise. I must have been distracted at some point because I don’t usually miss I expected closer.
SA Hop IIPA
OG 1.065 63F FG 1.009 74F
IBU 69.4ish
6 Gallons Brooklyn NY Water
10 lbs 2row
2 lbs Golden Promise
2 lbs Wheat DME

1.5 oz Cashmere 60min
1 oz Cashmere 15 min
.5 oz Southern Star 10min
.5 oz African Queen 10 min
.5 oz Southern Passion 10 min
5 oz Southern Star 5 min
.5 oz African Queen 5 min
.5 oz Southern Passion 5 min

Yeast: 4 oz of Harvested Voss pitched at 63F and brought naturally to 80F by high krausen

I’ll try to post a picture at noon since I have the day off.

Gotcha, thank you! I’d love to get a pound of each of those hops but my wife would kill me. Your recipe looks perfect to try them out, though.

I wish I would have taken better smelling notes from when I opened the hops up. One of those SA hops was very distinct and compelling but I didn’t take a note which it was. The other two were more “that’s nice”.

This one sounds good:
Southern Star is a South African bred high alpha, daylight neutral hop whose pedigree is a diploid seedling selected from Outeniqua and an SA male OF2/93. The aroma profile includes tangerine, blueberries, pine, tropical fruit, pineapple, watermelon, pungent, and spicy. Works well with all hop-forward beers, especially modern IPAs, and as a bittering hop for clean bitterness.