Wet grain storage container

Hey everyone. So I recently bought 3 storage containers like this for my 50lb bags of malt:

https://www.amazon.com/Vittles-Vault-Stackable-Airtight-Container/dp/B0002H3S5U/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=pet+food+container+gamma&qid=1609197871&s=music&sr=1-5

Upon receiving them, I rinsed them out and sat them upside down on a drying rack. After a few days of drying, I turned them right-side up and dumped the malt into the first container. Moving onto the second container, I realized that some water from the initial rinse had collected in a small lip around the opening of the container, only to run down the side and pool in the bottom. After realizing this - I took a paper towel to the remaining 2 containers and made sure they were dry. I realize that this could be a RDWHAHB moment but I just wanted everyone’s opinions… Could that small amount of water, probably less than 2 oz - cause any issues in the first container?

Thanks,
Luke

1 Like

IF it was mine… I’d brew… Wet grain WILL grow crap you don’t want deal with if left too its own ways… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: What are going to do?
Sneezles61

3 Likes

Hey where you been? How much grain. You could pour out the dry stuff then roast the wet stuff for some crystal malt

4 Likes

They are real nice containers. I got 2 of them. Nice investment

1 Like

I have a few of those and love them.

Damp malt could mold very easily. I’d get it out of there and spread it out on a tarp or something to make sure it’s dry, maybe blow a fan over it for a while and rake it back and forth. Air out the vault good before returning the malt to it.

If any is really wet you could roast it as @brew_cat suggested.

I’d also plan a bunch of brew days and try to get through that malt ASAP.

2 Likes

Thank you for the replies everyone! I’ll dump the grain out and look it over. This was 20 lbs of malt so luckily it wasn’t a 50 lb sack. Hopefully someone will see my mistake and not make the same one!

@brew_cat Just been super busy with my family and career! My kids are growing up so fast. I spend most of my free time with them and my wife but sometimes I to sneak a brew day in :wink:

I’ve been doing 2.5 gallon BIAB batches out of my 4 gallon pot for the past year. Recently upgraded to the Robobrew 17 gallon system when it was on sale. Been waiting patiently to start brewing bigger batches.

1 Like