Weizenbock grain bill

I saved some 3068 slurry from my recent hefe and am planning to do a Weizenbock soon. Grainbills on the internet are all over the place. I tried Weihenstephaner Vitus recently and that was amazing. Have Aventinus in the fridge.

Recipes that I have reviewed contain wheat malt of course, some dark and others white wheat malt. But fairly divergent after this with dark and light Munich, victory, aromatic, usually Pilsner, Vienna, etc.

A call out to y’all to see what you think about the composition?
I’m thinking 50% white wheat
30%pilsner(to ensure conversion)
10%dark Munich
5%aromatic
5%carafoam
Planning a big beer @1.080
Thanks in advance!

Recipe looks good, I would give a listen to this, Jamil show that had Rodney Somebody, who won Sam Adams Longshot with his weizenbock. I am not a huge fan of the banana/clove profile, but we brewed this on our 1/2 bbl awhile back and loved it. Make sure to bottle some and put it away for awhile (and do not give it away, like I did!)

Its really more about getting the yeast to behave the way you want (more clove or more banana), while getting a nice dry beer with big mouthfeel and gentle warm alcohol heat. I would consider doing a ferrulic acid rest in your mash. My brewing partner brewed a beer with an identical grain bill using Hefe IV a few weeks after ours, and it was amazing how different the beers were.

The imports are good, but there is nothing like a well-made, non-oxidized Wbock (which most of the imports are). Ours was described as a pumpernickel banana nut bread in a glass.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply! I also read the earlier weizenbock thread about pitching rates for maximum ester production, and will definitely not overpitch my 3068 slurry. Grain bill looking like 8.25lb pale german wheat, 4.25lb pilsner, 2.0 aromatic malt, 1.0lb dark munich, 0.5lb carafoam: calc og 1.080, fg 1.022, abv 7.57%. srm 11.36.

I tuned in to the Jamil show, and there is another weizenbock episode now, where they taste and review the available weizenbocks but somehow omitted Vitus! They liked Pinkatus over those taste tested/

Yeah, I’m not as big of a fan of that show, primarily because listening to or watching people review beer is nailgun-to-the-head level of excruciating to me.

The original Jamil show was great though!

1 Like