Water treatment for meads?

'Evening, group-- It’s been quite a while since I’ve made a mead. Used to make them quite often, but in the last several years have become a devoted all-grain beer brewer. However, I’d like to take a shot at making a spiced apple mead this weekend, and my experience with all-grain brewing has made me question the water I plan to use.

I live in the country, and my well water is horrible. High iron, some other undesirable characteristics. By default, I am planning to use RO water for the mead, and wonder if that is suitable for mead-making without any additions, or if I should consider modifying the RO water in some way prior to use. I have access to a couple of artesian wells widely used by the public for drinking water, both of which have very high residual alkalinity, which makes me tend to lean away from them because I’m not sure how the high RA might impact the mead. Thoughts? I am open to just about anything, just don’t want to waste a good batch of honey on bad water.

TIA

I would shoot for a simple water profile in that you hit 50ppm Ca to help with yeast flocculation.
Edited: I’ve never made mead

1 Like