Water testing

Have you seen your report yet?
Sneezles61

No not yet. It has left bonaire. Sunday. So might be in the mail. From miami. To ward lab have you seen. The water profile calulator. From wort of wisdom

Iā€™ve notā€¦ Iā€™ll take a look seeā€¦ Those kinda things have a way of tripping me upā€¦
Sneezles61

1 Like

Welcome back. All good advice. Brunwater and a pH meter will get you on the right track.

I assume the water report was available from Fairfax Co or City municipal water? it doesnā€™t seem like it should swing that wildly. Most of the municipal water reports Iā€™ve seen consist of a ā€œrangeā€ of values for CYA. Their water must come from the same constant source so I donā€™t see why it would change that muchā€¦

If your water supply comes from different sources, such as a system of wells then it could be that the variance is due to which source the water is being drawn from. If you contact the water utility I would hope they could explain the variance. Hopefully they could also advise you on how to predict the variance. Unless the variance is predictable, or you could take a water sample at the same time and location as the water utility, I donā€™t think a water report would help you.

Thanks for the information. The water comes from the Potomac River and the Occaquan Reservoir; maybe things differ depending on how much comes from the different sources. I got a copy of Braunwater and I have a Ph meter so I will see how things look next weekend when I plan to brew. I found there is a local homebrew store about 30 minutes away. They are not on the same water system (different county) but they may have addressed this issue with other customers; I plan to talk with them. Thanks againā€¦

If the water source figures are going to vary wildly fro month to month then I would not spend money on a Wards lab report. What you want is a consistent source so using distilled or RO water and building a profile for what you want to brew is a possible way to proceed,

Welcome back to brewing. It is a great time to be one.

1 Like

Good advice to reach out to the water company. Bad news thoughā€¦ if your water truly does differ that much you are not in a good position. Unless you personally buy a water test kit, which they do make and offer. Itā€™s not the pH of your starting water but the mineral makeup and the final mash pH dictated by the grist. If you buy the test kit youā€™ll need to test it every brew and treat accordingly.
Or, you could just go RO water and build your own water profile. I use RO and collect water as I go in gallon jugs between brew day.

Which LHBS are you referring to? I use Kettles & Grains in Leesburg. Cool little shop, cool owners and theyā€™re involved in a local homebrew club.

I spoke to a buddy of mine yesterday who brews in fairfax county. He always uses distilled water. It can get expensive but you know what youā€™re dealing with.

I am going to Jayā€™s Brewing in Manassas. I live in Lorton; they appear to be the closest HB shop to me. This is the water report (hope this is legible).

1 Like

I want to say Thanks for the help and guidance. I brewed a pale ale on 02/23 using distilled water and added salts, etc. based on the Brunwater site. My Ph and gravities were both on target through-out the session. It has finished fermentation and I am letting it sit for a couple of weeks and then will either bottle or keg it depending on whether I will have my equipment ready (I have been out of brewing for a number of years). Thanks again; happy to be back!

4 Likes

Welcome back! There are peeps that know about those programs in here and are always willing to helpā€¦
Now to hear your tasting notes down the trailā€¦
Sneezles61

My water test arived on bonaire. Now got to find someone who mails it into the usa. To wardlab

1 Like