Water adjustments extract brewing

I recently brewed a clone of Fresh Squeezed IPA using extract. It had me use distilled water and add gypsum. It turned out better than any of my other brews. My other beers have been good but there is always some taste I can’t put my finger on. Question: are water adjustments needed for extract with specialty grains? If so, is there a good way to know what to add when picking famous water profiles? I’m not a knowledgable with water adjustments

In general, most water adjustments are not needed with extract becasue they’ve been done when the extract was made. However, adding gypsum can help dry the finish and give you the impression of a hoppier beer. But that’s about all you need to do.

I will say that using distilled with extract (with no adjustments) is some good advice, if you suspect your well water. All the minerals needed for beer are in the extract, so you won’t hurt it using distilled.

Maybe try the same kit twice, once with your tap water, once with distilled, and see if you can notice a difference.

2 Likes

I might give that a try. I’m planning on making some one gal batches to dial in my brewing before making the switch to all grain.

Do you know a good source for making water adjustments for when I switch to all grain? I can find the water profiles I want no problem. I am just unsure how to make the adjustments once the profile is picked. Is there a program that tell you what to add? Ex) you need 4tsp of gypsum and 1 tsp Calcium carbonate for 6 gal of water to hit your desired profile.

google brunwater.

Cheers,

Ron

3 Likes

Brunwater is kind of a gold standard these parts. BUT: first things first,

Read the info on Brunwater. Water adjustment is a science, worth understanding before you mess with it too much.

Get a water report! You need to know what water you’re starting with. Ward Labs offers water tests. If you’re not into getting your water tested, start with distilled or reverse osmosis water and build up. Every all grain day for me starts with buying 8 or 9 gallons of distilled water.

1 Like

I work from RO. I will git one of those some day. Without knowing yer water, once you go all grain, will be frustrating. You’ll have many questions. Like was said above, brunwater, and some other books that deal specifically with water for brewing. Sneezles61

2 Likes

Thanks, Denny, I’m obviously quite challenged technologically. One of these days I’ll learn how to post a link, but as for now I’m clueless.:confounded:

Cheers,

Ron