Vienna ale?

Hey all. I really like Vienna lagers so long as someone other than me makes them. Has anyone tried brewing the same grainbill but with an ale yeast? If so any recommendations on yeast? Chico would be my low imagination yeast that comes to mind.

Thanks all and happy brewing.

Iā€™ve mainly brewed Alesā€¦ For the last few years Iā€™ve tinkered in Lagerā€™sā€¦ Iā€™ll use my same grist bill for bothā€¦
When playing with the smaller brews, I have enjoyed Pils and mostly Marris Otter in a 50/50 comboā€¦ Recently I got a sack of Viennaā€¦ So I swapped out M.Oā€¦ It worksā€¦ I donā€™t think I could ever do a 100% Vienna malt billā€¦
So perhaps youā€™ll develop a base you likeā€¦ Make a big or small base with itā€¦ Then the specialty malts can added to alter itā€¦ Then try out different yeastsā€¦ trying to keep the base a constantā€¦ Itā€™d be stoopid of me to tell you which yeast is bestā€¦ we do have different taste/likingsā€¦ I enjoy clean Ale yeast. BUTā€¦ Iā€™m going into the world of Saisonā€¦ I may be scaredā€¦
Sneezles61

Yes use an altbier yeast for a nice beer

Why not try a kveik strain?

The US-05 Chico will work as well if you have it. Id venture to guess a very high percentage of brewers use that yeast for their beers. Its cheap, its available and its consistent at a variety of temperatures.

Oslo would be the best Kviek strain i feel

Havenā€™t tried that one yet. I mostly use it for happy beers but Iā€™d be curious to try it with a more malt forward beer

Itā€™s worth ordering to try. Bootleg Biology is the only yeast producer with this strain. Itā€™s the only ā€œbottom fermentingā€ Kviek strain I think.

Might give it a go. Good suggestion

Thanks for the replies. I sat down this morning over a cup of coffee and came up with the following recipe. Iā€™d appreciate any critiques.

5 lb Pilsner
5 lb Vienna
2 lb Munich - like it in moderation
8 oz melanoiden - never used before
2 oz black patent - wanted extra colorā€¦
2 oz hallertauer - like this a lot
Wyeast 1056

I appreciate any comments. Not sure about the black patentā€¦

The Black Patent malt is maybe pushing it towards a Dunkel. Vienna is just a lighter roast than the Munich. Both are base malts so you can use up to 100% of either but I wouldnā€™t go over that :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Its yer brewā€¦ You gotta start somewhereā€¦ I come up with 1.067 SGā€¦ Easily 7% ABV. If using dry yeast, perhaps 2 packetsā€¦
Iā€™d say brew it! :slight_smile: Iā€™m sure youā€™ll keep us in the loop on progressā€¦
Sneezles61

Thanks. I may wait a bit to brew it but will definitely crow about it or be a downer. Got an offer to make a brew for a buddyā€™s work contest so likely will wait for the Vienna. Vienna waits for youšŸ˜€

Btw, my biab method will likely not get me to that OGā€¦

1 Like

Trying to stuff 13 lbs in a 5 pound bag? :no_mouth:
Its all goodā€¦ youā€™ll do as you can :slight_smile:
Sneezles61

After I started brewing lagers I did a series of beers with WY1007 german ale yeast for comparison. The O-fest and Vienna lager recipe with the two closest of the bunch. They were clean and enjoyable. You could hardly taste the difference side by side. It was mostly about mouthfeel and clarity.

I will taste an experimental lager a bit later today. I had a batch take 5 days to get started fermenting and I had to leave for a couple days so it fermented in the high 60s. When I racked it it smelled fine, tasted ok and looked a little murky. Itā€™s been on gas and cold conditioning for about two weeks now. So Iā€™ll let you know how a warm fermentation with Wy Bavarian Lager yeast turns outā€¦haha

3 Likes

I did the exact same thing with German ale yeast actually think i may have liked the ale version a bit better.

I think a kolsh is lower ABV a kolsh would make a good lawnmower beer. On the other hand im drinking a cream ale know which i bet most might mistake for a pils

1 Like

Left handed or right? :stuck_out_tongue:
I have to pass on the heavier brews in the summerā€¦ I keep chasing the lighter brewsā€¦ OR is it to do with getting just a wee bit older?
Sneezles61