Very Frustrated Brewer

I tested the water before adding anything to it. I would think that would of had the same off flavors

Your taste buds have changed, I will assume more acute to your brews… I will put a finger on O2… too much… Too much moving around… Brew one and leave it in the primary, then still leave it there while it comes up to room temp… Clean up phase… then, still leave it there and stuff it in the fridge to cold crash foe at least 3 days… Get all your stuff gathered to either bottle or keg, then pull it out and take car of it… keep it quiet and cold as best as possible… Sneezles61

You said you bottle. Do you have problems with over carbonation? How did/do you clean your O2 stone?

Tell us about your sanitation process.

Have you tried replacing your soft tubing?

1 Like

Maybe I missed it but is there a description of this strange after taste?

If as described you’re keeping your fermentation temperatures toward the lower end of the yeast’s range it shouldn’t be a fermentation issue. I’m talking about the temperature as measured on your fermenters. Still…if you’re fermenting ales in the low 60s you shouldn’t get “violent blow off” unless you’re fermenting 5 gals in a 5 gal vessel.

The old adage, “if your water tastes good you can brew with it” is BS. I think you should focus on your water. Did I miss what your water source is? Do you treat for chlorine or chloramines? I think your best alternative for extract is distilled or RO water. I’d try that and see how it turns out. Could be your fix.

Oxidation is a possible culptit but after 5 years I think you’d have figured that out by now.

Maybe too much oxygen? How long are you hitting it with pure O2?

*disregard stopped using it

The water source is city water. I have always used that water. First i used a PUR filter and then i bought the bigger filter as described. Maybe they changed something in the water or maybe the new filter doesn’t do the job that the old one was.

Bingo

1 Like

What is weird is, the water tastes perfectly fine before i start the brew. Is it possible that this is still the problem?

absolutely. You need to treat for chloramine in the water. Your filter doesn’t remove it all. Maybe when it was new it removed more but the results of the test below show that PUR filter is the worst at removing chloramine. Get some distilled or use some camden tabs and your problem is solved.

1 Like

Is this PUR filter the larger one you purchased. With maintenance PUR maintains this filter will remove chloramines from the water. A charcoal filter only removes chlorine.
http://www.purewaterproducts.com/chloramine-catcher?gclid=CjwKCAiA1uHSBRBUEiwAkBCtze3oiNrP-UjcVMJLHL7NgyyZwhmGlZHti3fe657wFPmxqQeTb_46SRoCopQQAvD_BwE

No, the PUR was my old water filter. This is what i upgraded with: Water Filter Kit - 10 in. | MoreBeer

The filter says that it will remove chlorine. I’m fairly sure that if the filter would also remove chloramines it would be stated. Give RO or distilled water for your next few beers and see if the off taste goes away.

1 Like

Carbon filters alone are not very effective at removing chloramine. You need reverse osmosis in addition to an activated carbon filter.

Or just buy distilled water at 99¢ a gallon

2 Likes

Sometimes less than that.

Or get some campden tabs for something like 2 bucks, which will be good to treat probably 200 gallons of water or so.

2 Likes

Or use both treat your boil water with Camden the refridgerate some jugs of distilled for top off and help chill.

Damn cheap the water in the usa. I pay on bonaire 5$ per gallon. Was thinking in trying to brew a beer. With distilled water. No way way to expensive

I was to Bonaire more than 30 years ago I remember the small boats from the Venezuelan mainland selling fruits off the docks. I would make wine. I don’t remember the water except that the place we stayed at the water pipes ran along the surface so the water was super hot at night. You could do a rainwater collection system

1 Like