Using Tamarind Pods

My grocery store has 4 kinds of Tamarind pods in the produce section. I really am curious how to use them properly. Seems like if you can master their use they have hundreds of uses like a lemon might have.

The insides of the pods I bought are a really pleasant sticky tar. I’m soaking the fruit pulp in water and then straining it. That’s as far as my knowledge extends at the moment. Seems like @wilcolandzaat might have these growing on his island.

Holy Moly… I see you find products for food that frankly… scares the #%!t out of me… :fearful:
I’ll stick to the conventional products I’ve come to enjoy… Stuck in my ways… huh…
Sneezles61

At a certain age one starts thinking of the concepts of food and drink in terms of “what is it” and “what does it mean compared to what I know.” My current mindset is “Is it tasty and how do I eat it?” There is so much in my nearest grocery store that is aimed at a Caribbean clientele. I want to know what all of it is.
I mush/mashed the soaked tamarind through a metal strainer and got this delicious thick water. I added it to some lentils in the style of this recipe and it is really really good.

I’m certainly making a beer out of these at some point.

I got them growing in my yard. My wife makes. Jam with it. Me do think. They are real. Sour.

1 Like