Using secondary as primary?

My primary fermenter will be in use for another two weeks. Wondering if I could get away with brewing another batch and putting it right into the secondary. Might this work if I use a blowoff hose instead of the standard airlock?

It kind of depends on what sort of secondary you have. I have a few 6.5 gallon plastic big mouth bubblers that I use for secondaries. I have used them as a primary before when my buckets were loaded up. There’s enough head space to do it in those. If you have a 5-gallon bubbler or carboy, it would only work if you brewed a batch smaller than 5-gallons, even with a blow-off tube.

That said, I wouldn’t want to use a carboy for a primary, it would be way too hard to clean the krausen off and do a good job of it through the tiny neck.

My secondary is a 5 gallon big mouth bubler.

You might be able to with a blow off tube. It will also depend on the yeast you are using and the fermentation temperature. You will lose quite a bit of beer with WY 3068 fermented near the top of the temperature range.

I was going to do the Bavarian Hefeweizen extract kit with the dry yeast. I’m able to ferment in the basement at 64 degrees on the fermometer. Room temp is about 60. May take advantage of this Wisconsin weather and just put the wort outside to chill. Ha.

I do all the time. As soon as I rack from the primary I fill the carboy up with cold water and let it soak for a while, then I fill it full of oxi cleaner and let it set, sometimes overnight, and it rinses nice and clean.

I clean glass carboys with less muscle. Jet rinse after yeast harvest. Add a tablespoon of PBW. Add tepid water to about one-quarter the fermentor volume. Slosh around and then invert in sink to cover krausen ring. When I get around to it the next day or so a quick brushing, jet rinse, and inspection with a white background under the carboy.

Full carboys weigh to much. Doesn’t seem as heavy though when it is full of beer.

I have my carboy in a large sink and all I have to do is tip it over and let most of the water drain out before lifting it.