Using green hops

I’ve heard different things about using green hops but I’m wondering what you all think. I have dried my hops in the past. I’m thinking if I use them green they won’t absorb as much liquid. Thoughts?

I wouldn’t think so, but I’ve only used them in the boil. I always pull the bags out and squeeze them. Not too sure about dry or keg hopping.

I’m thinking using them in the whirlpool. Bagging so I can squeeze them sounds like a good idea

Well, I’ve had the wet hop brews… Didn’t do jack fer me.
Sneezles61

They’re a great garnish.

I usually dry them because I’m worried about a vegetable flavor. Guess that’s what I’ll do. I’ve dried them on a screen and also in the oven. I prefer air dry

1 Like

Build an oast? Well, maybe you don’t have that much to dry then…
Sneezles61

Well I put some screen racks in my hot house and dried them. Brewed my harvest Ale which is a 1/2 oz nugget commercial pellets at 60. About 4oz cones at 15 another 4oz cones WP. Now 2oz high krausen another 2oz at low krausen. Everything bagged. I squeezed the boil and WP bags but won’t squeeze the DH. Probably won’t use any in the keg.

1 Like

Any idea what hops they are?
Sneezles61

Cascade

1 Like

My fav…
Sneezles61

Seems to be the only type I get a good yield

Brew Cat hop stand classic… :beers:
Sneezles61

1 Like

I got several bags of C varieties green hops from a friend. Unknown AA of course. I really need to learn how to design a recipe that works with a range of bitterness possibilities. I’m thinking bigger malt backboned clean yeast. That way if the hop is underwhelming you can concentrate on the malt. If the hop is overwhelming you can concentrate on the hop that is hopefully balanced.

When i brew with my harvest i use purchased pellets fo bittering and only use the home grown for flavor and aroma

1 Like