Using expired starsan

Hello! After a few years break, I’m full on brewing again.
Not full on all grain best brewer kegging master, but more like extract kit,bottle guy. Still love it just the same.
Anyway, just read that starsan can expire. This is freaking me out,because I have two batches that require about two months of aging after secondary’s and such in progress.A lot of work for four cases of bad beer.
Anyone have bad luck with expired starsan?

:thinking: i bought a big bottle and have been using it for awhile. Are you talking about the concentrate ore a batch you have already mixed?

1 Like

2 things that have an expiration date that I use for brewing… pH test solution and Star-San…
pH testing solution… I’ve had some in the fridge way over a year… and I compared that to some fresh solution… my readings weren’t different… tells me then alls well.
Star-San… I have not tested it full strength, but mixed solution I have… In fact, I have one keg that holds my pre-mixed… The pH is to be 3… or very close… Mine passes…
Sneezles61

3 Likes

The concentrate itself. This bottle is probably 3-4 years old😮

Just mix as directed… No pH stuff to check? I also “heard” that if it foams… its still OK… but I can’t confirm that…
Sneezles61

1 Like

The concentrate should be fine. I have used old starsan around 3 years old and it was good as verified by pH check and foaming. If you are picky like me, use distilled water when mixing it up.

1 Like

Hoping you’re correct.
This is probably 4 years old.I have a new bottle on the way just to be sure.

How we all started. No worries. The idea is to have fun and make some tasty beer.

I would use up the Star San BTW

3 Likes