Using DME

Occasional I’ll use DME in my brewing to get the OG up . I find it a pain in the arsenic to use. How do you people add it without making a mess.

I’ll trim just a small corner off the bag. Hold it by the top and corner straight across from the trimmed corner. Begin shaking the bag to level the contents before it gets to the pour out position. This leveling prevents the cloud of DME dust that happens when the bag is just up ended.

Slowly squeeze some of the air out a partial bag for storage. Fold the cut corner over and secure with a binder clip. Small bags I will put in a gallon zip lock bag for added security.

1 Like

But how do you get it in the pot. When I try to dump it in the steam melts it and it sticks to the bag

1 Like

I weigh out the amount needed when I’m not using the entire contents of a bag. I’ll dip the measuring cup into the wort to dissolve what sticks when it gets steamed.

1 Like

Measuring cups… You still get some sticky icky stuff… Maybe do all this outside in the winter… The DME thingy… Sneezles61

Yup, the steam always makes a sticky mess with DME. LME is easier to work with but you can never get it all out of the jug. Pouring some hot wort in and shaking it helps but then you have a really hot plastic jug to deal with.

I don’t bother, because it’s a pain in the arsenic. I usually know based on my pre-boil gravity whether I’m going to miss my final gravity, and adjust the length of the boil accordingly. Usually boiling an extra 15-20 minutes before the first hop addition gets me where I want to be.

I very rarely do it myself except when building a high gravity and want to cut down on mash volume. I was thinking to get some pills DME for a Belgian Trip recipe I’m working on

Timely posting, because I was just wondering how you guys store the stuff?? (I posted a while back about my DME turning to stone when the power was out). I ordered some more (3 lbs) coming later today, and want to store it correctly(barring hurricane season).

Smack it with a hammer. It’s actually easier to use than powder state

1 Like

I use an empty Tropicana screw top orange juice jug.

2 Likes

Let’s not think about that.

3 Likes

Now that would be too simple to think of!! Smarty pants… :stuck_out_tongue: Sneezles61

Tropicana bottles work the best. The other brands don’t dissolve the dme quite as well. Kind of like the blue cooler thing…

1 Like

Exactly!:joy:

Put 1/2 - 1 lb in blender, depending on size, add cool water and blend! pour into kettle… simple! OR… pour dme into large bowl or bucket of water, stir till dissolved… pour into kettle.