Using corn/maize

There @loopie_beer goes again with that fancy schmancy longhair talk! :nerd:
Actually very clear and a great refresher, thanks!

I’ve used 21% flaked corn with 6-row with good results in my fairly frequent cream ales. Really no hassle to use flaked corn and I like the result in a cream ale, mine was a bit on the high abv for a lawnmower beer at 6.54%. My Throwback cream ale I came up with after reading a cream ale article by Drew Beecham.

1 Like

Couple of those and my mower would be laying on its side…
Wait a minute… There are lawns in Florida? :mask:
Sneezles61

Yeah, but it’s all glorified crabgrass, what they call " Saint Augustine".

2 Likes

Makes sense to me actually. I can’t imagine having a grain bill that would fall low enough for me to ever worry about it. Use to be we said don’t use too many non-fermentable grains/adjuncts or you may not achieve conversion. In the case of wheat beers I used 60/40 barley/wheat as a guideline.

Looks to me like you would never use enough of the example grains listed to get anywhere near 30°L. Am I correct in that assumption?

But hasn’t that been how a German grainbill for Wiesen suppose to look? Equal barley to wheat? I read a recipe that use more wheat than barley too…
Well the fermenters are slowing down now… I’ll be curious if this X-beermental is drinkable…
Sneezles61

Wheat has just as much °L as 2 Row really, especially American wheat, and a 100% wheat grist will easily self convert.
And you are correct that MOST grists won’t have an issue. But if you look at Munich malt it’s a tad lower, especially the darker Munich. Say you were going to brew a Munich dunkel utilizing both Munich I and II and you have a the specialty malts it could get close.
But if you are a partial mash brewer you really need to watch for this.

1 Like

My hefes are 60/40 wheat/pils.

1 Like