Using canned pumpkin?

Hello I am planning on brewing a pumpkin beer this year. But I am wondering when using canned pumpkin purée do you just add it to the mash right out of the can or is it better to bake it? If one is going to bake it what a good temp an for how long?.

Did try canned pumpkin before. Did lose taste. Next batch i did. Roasted the pumpkin. This came out nice. Nice hint of flav. Together with the spices. I did use nutneg. Cinnamon. Ginger all spice and clove. Try to use as much fresh spices

1 Like

I baked 45 ounces of pumpkin in a pyrex dish and for good measure used some brown sugar on top(not a lot ) but it turned out well the past 2 years, nicely carmelized, so that’s my plan again. I add it to the mash.

350* for 30 or 40 minutes. (until surface caramelizes, but not black)

1 Like

If your using canned pumpkin the easiest way to do it. Is take some of your sparge water from your first infusion and mix it with it till dissolved then add to your mash tun. Pumpkin is great for stuck sparge so you will want to add some rice hulls to your mash tun. Also You will want to do a short protein rest to convert the starch’s in the pumpkin around 120 degrees for 10 minutes. Then raise your temps to your regular mash temps. If your using grocery store caned pumpkin make sure that there is no preservatives in it or pumpkin pie mix it has preservatives in it.

2 Likes