Using brewers friend program

Me do use. On my desktop. Brewsmith. On my phone brewers friend. Got question. Me calculate my recipy by hand. Haha old school. Than add my info to the brewing software. Today did use brewers friend. So once my recipy ready. Did use ibu calculator as well. But. Final recipy. And ibu calculator. A of. Not the same ibu. Ok. No big deal. Can use both. Calculation. But should it not be the same. The final result

Different IBU calculations from Beersmith and Brewers Friend? That wouldn’t surprice me if they’re off a little.

No same program brewers friend. Recipy creator. And ibu calculator. Should be same result. No big deal. But weird

1 Like

Yea you’d expect the same algorithm is used. Maybe the AA% is different in one app?

Could be one program is set to Rader and the other Tinseth.

1 Like

OK, what the f**k are those?

I love that after brewing for years there’s still tons of sh*t that I’ve never even heard of.

2 Likes

Haha same here. Did look. At the brewers friend program. Its tinseth. Guess time to google what this means

1 Like

Most brewing software uses tinseth and we’ve all kind of standardized on it. I didn’t think about it and haven’t heard anyone mention rager in years. @loopie_beer

1 Like

Been reading a old post. From mattnaik. (Have not seen him here long time) his. Ibu calculation are off as well. Using software. Tinseth vs rager. Tinseth. Way lower calculation than ragar

They are two different methods of measuring IBUs. Which one is better? Tinseth is reported to be more accurate. Which one to use? That’s up to you, and as long as you maintain the same method your recipes will turn out. I think most programs use Tinseth so pay attention to that if you are using other people’s recipes.
Of course, this is all theoretical and to really know the IBUs the beer must be scientifically tested. So is all this moot? :scream:

1 Like

I suspect it’s almost a crap shoot… So there are 2 methods that do get you in the park… Sneezles61

Not to re-threadjack the conversation, but I found this article from Zymurgy which goes into a bunch of the different methods for estimating hop utilization, and therefore IBUs. To @loopie_beer 's point actually DETERMINING IBUs requires some chemical analysis that is not (yet!!) practical for homebrew. According to the article, Tenseth’s method was the first to use a formula, versus some sort of lookup table or chart. As a computer guy I can say that means Tenseth is MUCH easier to incorporate into software. The article is ~12 years old, so it may be out of date, but it is an interesting read