Using a year old packet of Safale 05

I have a packet of Safale-05 that is dated 12/14, making it just over a year old. It has been in the fridge the entire time. I was wondering if it can still be used? I would imagine a starter would be necessary to make sure I have enough viable cells. It is even worth using or should I go to my LHBS and pick up another packet? I would be using it to make the Grapefruit Pulpin extract kit.

Thanks

It is possible to use dry yeast in a starter, but you are starting with an unknown quantity of viable cells. The number of viable cells propagated would also be unknown. I would get a fresh pack of yeast if the LHBS isn’t to far away.

12/14 Doesn’t mean it’s a year old. It means it’s a year expired. Do yourself a favor and get fresh.

Hold on there bubba Louis’! I have to say, ya just can’t throw it out without trying! I would make a starter and give it a whirl. I did a wheat brew a few years ago with an old packet of yeast and it turned out… Just my thinning’ Sneezles61

1 Like

What’s the size and O G of the batch. You could use it, but get a fresh one and if the old one doesn’t start within a reasonable time pitch the second.

1 Like

Do this, it will give you an easy back up if the yeast for some reason doesn’t get going.

But speaking as someone who has regularly used expired dry yeast (I used to buy in bulk because I couldn’t get the strains I wanted locally, and it sometimes took a long time to use up the bulk orders), I can say with quite a bit of confidence that if the package is refrigerated the whole time, it will remain viable long past the expiration date printed on it.

1 Like

I agree 100%. I buy these 36-48 at a time and have never had even close to an issue.