Up north bock

Got my shipment from our host. Looking to brew the doppelbock mid to late week depending on how my work schedule goes.

1 Like

Thats pretty cool! I like the old world advertising pictures…
Sneezles61

1 Like

OK, Brew day finished for doppelbock now just before Super Bowl Sunday. Can relax tomorrow. Sitting in my driveway enjoying a Desperado, listening to John Mellencamp as night falls.

2 Likes

How big did the doppelbock get?
Sneezles61

Target OG 1.077, actual OG 1.078.

1 Like

You gonna put up a few bottles for next years imbibe-ment?
Sneezles61

Im going to do a helles soon maybe next lager on the Dortmund cake

1 Like

Possibly …. Especially if I fill the keg and have a bit left.

Like, the last gallon is always soooo good…
Sneezles61

Kegged it yesterday and FG was 1.010. Hydrometer sample appropriately big and malty. Now the wait ….

2 Likes

Beer nap beer

No doubt.

That’ll be a good one to stash some bottles when the keg is aged and frothy!! :melting_face:
Sneezles61

1 Like

Question. What type of serving glass is appropriate for a doppelbock, abv roughly 8.5%?

Standard CO2…. BUT… I would like to try some with nitro. It just isn’t as harsh… maybe not the correct word to use… There is a few places up north that do cask conditioned Ales… it’s like drinking liquid velvet… oh so smooth!
Sneezles61
EDIT: doh!!! GLASS…. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Im thinking a chalice style glass. One of those thick ones with the imprinted circles

1 Like

http://whichbeerglass.com/style/doppelbock/

Found this….

The one on the right… I’ll bet you can’t have just one!
Sneezles61

1 Like

Alright… I’ll brew a bock, just not a dark one… IF you get to Ironwood Mi., Cold Iron brewery has a fabulous doppelbock… And I didn’t ask about the grainbill… darn…
Todays My-bock (maibock sort of)…
9 lbs pils
2.5 lbs wheat
1 lbs Belgium biscuit
3 oz X-tra dark crystal…
1.056 using 80% efficiency… estimated…
About to mash in… pH meter isn’t correct any more…
Mashing at 150*F….
Sneezles61
E; mash basket pulled. Gravity is 1.043… half way through checked gravity 1.035…
I’ll need a vigorous boil to achieve my estimated gravity…
Bravo hops to the boil…
2.5 oz… @ 13.7% AA…
Need my Tilt so Apple Joose is kegged.
Nice.
E; OG 1.056. I used 04 safale… I chose it because… well, I have it and it said it has a medium finish… Maybe leave more malt flavor behind? I have a spot where it’s kinda cool …66-ish…

1 Like

Well, I haven’t calibrated my refractometer or my Tilt for a while… Tilt is now saying OG is 1.061! Ale yeast and temp is at 68*F… but make take at least overnight to acclimate to its chilly corner… I think the color looked good. Tan foam… from the wheat… and very full of it!
Sneezles61