Up north bock

Stuff I have on hand, so this is my thought:
12 MO
10 Pils
4 chocolate wheat
2 biscuit
I doubt I’ll need to correct water… but will monitor mash pH…
2 step mash… Longer at 142, very short at 158… Try to help make it more fermentables and “dry it out”…
To the boil, Northern Brewer 6%, 4 oz…
Saaz unknown AA 4 oz, at 5 minutes…
I’ll estimate 1.078 for the OG…
So I wonder about having too much CW… Thoughts?
Sneezles61

Quote; Chocolate wheat has “intense characteristics” and usually1-5 percent of maltbill suffices…a few ounces to a half pound for 5 gallons. So maybe a lb.?

Iv not used chocolate wheat but have used chocolate barley malt. I use about 1oz 350L and 1.25 lb White wheat in a 5gal batch so I would double that for a 10.

I’ve done some brews with CW… but I don’t recall it to be over powering… But then it wasn’t the leading characterist malt… If I stayed with this grain bill, I suppose I could stomp it down if it was too much? Blending brews?
Sneezles61

So this is a lager. Midnight Wheat is a good choice where color but not roastiness or bitterness is desired. Chocolate wheat is reportedly less bitter but does produce some roast flavor. In a bock(a lager) I’d err on the lighter side. Roasted Malts for Homebrewing

1 Like

I was hoping to leave the bitterness to a stout… Smoother, sweeter for a bock… As I understand… :upside_down_face:
Sneezles61

Brewing my bock today… A great name came to mind…
Up North Leaping Bock :joy::joy:

Now that’s giving our host a plug, eh?
Just kegged that brew a couple days ago…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

That is gonna be one dark bock…SRM of 43!

3 Likes

So I had a sample of this bock…what little foam there was looked just like a chocolate malt on top the very dark goodness… Truly a Black and Tan brew… It was smooth… Hopefully the sweetness won’t disappear and leave it bitter… It has slowed down… Perhaps this W/E I’ll pull some for the hydrometer… Ones a lager the other is an ale… Just because I can…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Note to ones self: DO NOT EVER USE THAT MUCH CHOCOLATE WHEAT!!!
Sneezles61

5 Likes

Well, time to dig this out… I’ll cut this back to a 5 gallon batch… And alter my grain bill… I’ll keep my gravity to about 1.065… Any ideas? While I ponder this…
Sneezles61

I’m trying to build a base … Then the color/flavor can be tweaked…
This is for 5.5 into the fementer…
6lbs each Pils and MO
1lbs victory malt
4 oz crystal 180
4 oz chocolate wheat…
I’ve got 34/70 to use… I’ll correct water to 6 pH…
1.5 oz northern Brewer to the boil…
Est. OG at 1.068…
Sneezles61

1 Like

Tomorrow… Brew or Bust.
Sneezles61

I used 34/70 2nd generation for my Mexican Lager and, as has been my experience, on repitch it performs better than from the package/1st generation.
It should make a good bock.

CI tossed my previous yeasts… Figured I’d start fresh… I’ve got a few more lager ideas to follow after this one…
Protein rest now… Half hour later on my way up to 142F…
A little KALEO. broken bones… :sunglasses:
On my way up to 160
F… Nice medium mahogany color… Once the residual grain dust gets mixed in, looks like a chocolate malt!
To the boil… 1.5 oz Bravo 13.7%… I really like the smell of hops in the boil!
I see Mama doe and her 2 fawns enjoying spent grist…
. Chillin’ now…
Oh ohh… snowflakes are starting!! Brent Cobb… Black crow… Toons fer me ears
Ouch… Starting gravity… 1.060 … Missed by .008… Too much water… It has a bit of bitterness… Think the yeast may calm that a bit… Good to go!
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Wow, that must be a powerful wort chiller!!

2 Likes

Down to 1.016… Turned the freez-menter up to 58*F… Might be good to make a blonde on put on this yeast cake…
Sneezles61

Been hanging in the cold… First runnings… pretty smooth…
Sneezles61

2 Likes

Time to dig this one out… My lager is about done fermenting… I’ll give it about a week to finish up. I did get chocolate malt this time… I did enjoy doing the decoction stepping of the mash… Still don’t know ifn it was worth the effort till I rack into the keg…
Looking at the recipe… I’ll leave the C-malt out… AND I’ve got some tettnang hops… I still feel compelled to add 1 pound of wheat…
Sneezles61

A few more days of things I have to do to help out family… Temps coming up a bit too…
I’ve been reading… alot about decoction… AND I see the German’s had a law(?) about the strength of bock? So… they had hydrometers before thermometers back then? Well, I’ll skirt right around all that stuff and stick to “perceived” gravity… 1.066. Perhaps the more knowledgable will weigh in about gravities… Wheat, gonna use some…
Sneezles61