Two kinds of yeast

So me busy creating a recipy for the brewery. And its gonna be for comercial sale. Must have. a fruit flav. I was thinking about using two kinds of. Yeast strains. Now been reading about combining yeast. Some brewerys. Pitch them. Straight afther wort has been cooled. Me thinking. Ading. Second strain. About. 5 days later. But than a yeast strain. With. Flav of mango. Any thoughts. About using two yeast strains

Pitching 2 strains can be difficult. One can easily out compete the other making it useless. Or it can work out with fabulous results.

Help me understand pitching 5 days later… likely the bulk of fermentation will be over and there won’t be enough sugars remaining for the other yeast to provide any real character.

Also using 2 strains can make repitching really really difficult unless you have a way to independently isolate each strain and repurchase them at the same ratios.

Well not sure yet. I know most sugars are gone i know. But been talking to prof brewers in holland they do add extra yeast few days later. Just for a specific flav. And even in the yeast book they do talk about it

Instead of using two different yeast Do you have capability to blend beers at the brewery. Brew same recipe with with different strains and blend them at end of fermentation

2 Likes

I was going to suggest the same thing. Brew a batch, split it and pitch the two yeast strains into the separate fermentors. Then blend after fermentation is done to get the flavor profile you want.

Gonna experiment at my house with 1gall batches. Use different yeast. One with kviek the other where i get fruit flav yeast. Same hops same grav. Once done fermenting. Transfer both to secondary. Let it condition see how it does come out.

I guess it depends on what kind of fruit flavor you’re after. I always go to British yeasts, because I’m kind of a sucker for them. They have a kind of soft vague fruitiness that I always enjoy. You might be able to cool to the top of their temp range with some effort. I’m by no means a Brettanomyces expert, but people say they get tropical fruity flavors out of it.

Whenever I’ve used Kveik, I get a bit of a citrusy, orangy taste (it might be because I read about it so much before I brewed with it, and it’s the power of suggestion). Are you looking to enhance that, maybe a citrus/wheat kind of thing, with a banana clovey hefe yeast? Something like a Wit, backed up with some Belgian funk? Lots of different directions you could go in, I’m just spitballing here…

Yeah the kviek gives a bit orange. But iam looking for mango flav. There is a yeast out there gives bit mango flav. Mmmn. Can not remember the name.

I think you might be thinking about the omega labs tropical ipa yeast. I also get a mango flavor from simcoe hops. I did NB’s smash pale ale with simcoe and got a mango bomb-but it faded fast. Good luck.

Cheers,

Ron

Yes thats it. Still toying with the idea. Gonna ask a chef from a rest next to the brewery if he can create a mango passion fruit paste. And add this about ten min before end of boil. Gonna do a 5 gall batch firts. See how this comes out. If i like it. Big batch brew. And tweak here and there. Before sending the recipy to the sister brewery in holland. Where the botteling takes place

I would try adding your puree at flame out first… I’m afraid if you add whilst it is boiling you evaporate the mango and or set a pectin haze to your brew… Sneezles61

Fruit beer and spring! Time to dust off the raspberry brown ale recipe and visit the local farmers markets.

When I homebrew my summer fruit beers, I’ll add the fruit in secondary.

When I’m playing with a new flavor, it’s “back to the books” - Experimental Homebrewing and/or Brewing Better Beer offer numerous techniques to dial in flavors with a small number of small batches. BYO is also a good source for good fruit beer articles.

1 Like