Two issues: cloudy beer that won't carbonate

haha I got a good chuckle out of this

Back to problem.

Have you weighed your CO2 tank to check the amount remaining? Gauges will give you pressure, but not volume/weight of CO2 remaining or being used due to a leak.

think more a yeast issue or a leak in the keg some where but this has nothing to do with the cloudy beer i do think

Try gelatin? That will clear up a brew for me! Sneezles61

Hi again. So, the carbonation finally (and suddenly) kicked in. I had turned it up a bit, and I checked it daily, but still nothing until Sunday evening. There was some nice bubbles and fuzziness on the top, so I had hope. Then, boom, yesterday carbonation was ok. Today, carbonation is pretty much spot on. The cloudiness remains, though. I didn’t weight the tank, and flars, you mention the gauges won’t give you volume/weight of CO2 remaining. But if there’s a leak, wouldn’t the pressure at least eventually go down? It hasn’t dropped a bit.

And sneezles61 mentioned adding gelatin. Can that be added now? If so, do I just release the pressure, sanitize, and mix it in? How much? Thanks

1 Like

Kegging could always be a maybe thing in my future so I’ve done a little reading. My limited understanding is that the gauge will show gas pressure, but not liquid CO2 volume remaining.

Use 1 tsp to one cup water. In yer micro wave heat it in short spurts until it reaches 150. I do hope yer keg is cold, then release pressure and open it quietly and dump in the mix. Allow it to sit a fee days and it should clear up… Sneezles61

From my limited experience… you cant really tell how much CO2 is left from the second guage. It will basically show pressure until there isnt any left, then it drops.

I have thought about storing the CO2 tank on a scale to see when it gets low but havent actually done it yet. Might be the most reliable way though

That’s correct, the high pressure gauge will read until the liquid is gone. Then it will drop quickly as the remaining gas is used up.

actually it drops so fast i had this over night happening indeed you can not tell how much gas left in the bottle keep spare one at all times

The high pressure gauge will not read correctly if the tank is in your kegorator. At room temp they are a little more acculturate. My tanks when just filled will read low on the HP gauge if inside my kegorator.

It is almost a must to have a spare tank or two. They always find a way to run out on Sunday.

I like my CO2 OUTSIDE of the refrigerator. Main reason is I add the gas, then shut it off whilst conditioning. When I get to pouring I will turn the gas on and use the small valve after the reg. to turn on and off as needed, then after serving, apply gas, then turn both the valves off. My CO2 goes a long ways this way. Sneezles61

Hi again everyone. Thanks again for the replies. My CO2 is outside my fridge, and I do have a spare tank. I’m honestly not sure what the issue was, but the beer seems to be flowing appropriately now. No change on my part. I set it at 12psi and left it alone. Weird. Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

1 Like