Trying to optimize my all grain set up

The valve on the front of a riptide pump does control the flow rate. There’s a PRV on top to act as a bleed valve. There is no need for further valves.

@porkchop might be saying this but try putting your bleed valve BEFORE it enters the pump. That’s the way I was led to believe it was set up.

Someone had posted a review that they had issues with sparging (low flow rates). No idea if they had other things going on… I am not sure how the integrated valve controls flow… constrict both input and output… or just output. When I get one and try it I will see how it performs at the sparge rate of flow. Hopefully it will do well, else I will open up the valve all the way and try a ball valve at the output.

The outlet port is at the top, inlet is down. You can click on the picture to zoom.

I’m not sure that makes sense to me from a functional standpoint…I thought the idea was to allow the air to be pushed out of the pump by the liquid…

Here’s a link to @mullerbrau 's setup that I copied. Except his is copper and badazzz.

Looking at my picture again I wonder if it just needs to be lower…the bleeder is not far below the kettle bottom…

Right, but if you remove the volute, is there any internal geometry that allows air to be trapped at the top half of the impeller? I’m not sure how the inside of this one looks, but sometimes they’re molded such that the inner wall is tangent to the inner wall of the volute, with a volume above it. Kind of like if you tipped a number “6” about 30 degrees counter-clockwise, if that makes sense. You’re correct about the bleed needing to be on the outlet.

ahh…gotcha…it goes straight up. Opened it because I kind of wanted to check the teflon washer anyway. is it the highest point…i guess not…If I rotated the pump 90 degrees counter clockwise then the ports would be horizontal but that volute would be at the top…

Here’s a photo with the bleed valve on the inlet. This is how I have mine set up and never had a problem with cavitation.

Is that how yours is oriented? Outlet up?

Well no matter what you choose for orientation, 2 key things… 1, keep it below the output from your kettle/mash-tun… 2, use a 1/2" ID hose to be sure you can supply plenty liquid… You can always rotate the pump to find whats best for you… Sneezles61

Yes my outlet is up, bleed valve before pump. My entire unit sits below the BK.