Trub or no trub into the fermentor

My question. Does it make big difference on taste once siphon the wort into the fermentor. And take a bit of trub. Me using now for the second time a hop spider. Nice no trub left into the boil kettle. Easy to clean. But does it affect the taste. Normaly suck bit of trub into the fermentor

There’s an exBEERiment for that…

I’ve been using a basket for all my hop additions in the kettle… I just like that the majority of the trub is left in the basket/kettle and not in there fermenter… There isn’t any perceivable difference in flavor to me… Sneezles61

1 Like

If I’m harvesting the yeast I strain if not I pour

Been reading part of this. On. Facebook. Will take sample. After primary fermetation and before i do dryhop. See if i taste the difference. Using hopspider. Or just hops into the brewkettle

I’ve not noticed a difference. When I use my hop spider I think the wort can’t get to the hops as well so I quit using it. I routinely end up with quite a bunch of trub in the fermenter.

1 Like

Im going have to start doing this…my last ipa was lackluster. Ill use the spider for low hopped brews only from now on.

I can’t remember where I read it but there was a study showing that wort actually benefits from some trub going into the fermenter. Too much can cause problems but too little limits nutrients consumed by the yeast, IIRC.

Edited to add: I mean a real bonafide study done by Drs of I believe Coors brewing.

1 Like