Trub Exbeeriment

Interesting read. Reminds me that beer has been around for thousands of years. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Yeah, interesting. Iā€™ve always went to great lengths to keep break material/hop material/ trub out of the fermenter. I just brewed the Plinian Legacy last weekend,and was dismayed at the amout of trubā€¦like a lot . There always is, and the kit even mentions trying to compensate for this with volume of pre boil wort, etc. However, there is some beer left behind also(Thereā€™s beer in that thar trub!)that eventually settles out, and the fermenter has a fairly large amount of headspace compared with usual brewsā€¦So Iā€™m losing some delicious beer(!! :scream: ) I know @radagast brews this regularly and would be interested to see how he approaches thisā€¦

That was indeed an interesting read. Iā€™m pretty sure I had read it before at one point but it was a good refresher to go through. In terms of brewing Plinian Legacy, yes I brew this once per year side by side with Off the Topper. Gives a nice contrast between West Coast and East Coast IPAā€™s and is a great pairing to have on tap for mid-summer. For both of these beers, the kits are formulated for 6 gallons into the fermenter to accommodate for the trub and hop material that will inevitably be left behind when transferring. Also, for both of these beers, I use my pump and IC instead of my CFC and run a whirlpool for the hopstand before chilling. I continue the whirlpool through chilling and then swap the output of my pump through the vent port into my 6.5 gal carboy. I make no attempt to limit the amount of break and hop material and itā€™s DEFINITELY a cloudy carboy. There will still be material left in the kettle but I donā€™t even bother to let it settle once itā€™s chilled before transferring.

I have a standard 6.5 gal glass carboy and a BMB 6.5 glass carboy and typically as I do these back to back weekends, the first batch goes into the standard and the second batch goes into the BMB. When I transfer to the keg, I deliberately stay above the trub level at the bottom of the carboy. That being said, both of these fill my ball lock kegs to capacity and I inevitably am forced (such a burden :joy:) to pour myself 2 - 3 glasses of beer to make room for the dry hops. Once the dry hop is complete, they go into the kegerator. I can tell you that the times Iā€™ve done Plinian Legacy, it pours absolutely crystal clear after the first few pints.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

If you have a BMB and brew really hoppy beers on a consistent basis, I highly recommend the Depth Charge.

1 Like

Thanks guys!
To be clear( pun intended), if Iā€™m not so diligent about limiting the transfer of trub, I may end up with clearer beer ( one of his surprising conclusions) and I might end up with slightly more Plinian Legacyā€¦hopefully? I know hop material and break are not exactly the same, but they are inextricable at the bottom of the brew kettle, and if youā€™ve ever let trub sit overnight before cleaning the kettle, there _is_a fair amount of wort that layers out.

Agreed. Clarity is not an issue with the Plinian Legacy, kegged, it pours a beautiful clear golden /Amber with excellent head retention.
My main ( whole?) issue is leaving wort behind that would become delicious Pliny.
I know we all say this about our beer, but seriously, I canā€™t buy an ipa/DIPA down here that I enjoy more!

Pretty sure I remember @sneezles61 making a comment about squeezing the hop bags out into a glass when the keg kicks, I havenā€™t gone quite that far yet, but yeah I agree it sucks when the racking cane leaves that last tiiiiiiiny little bit above the trub level and I think, MAN! I could have drank that! :joy: One other thing I forgot to mention is I use whirlfloc on Plinian but I donā€™t bother with Off the Topper because itā€™s supposed to be cloudy.

:beers:
Rad

mmmmm beer! ā€¦ Actuallyā€¦ I bag my cone hopsā€¦ they sit in the keg for 3-5 days before it goes into the keezerā€¦ The bag stays in the whole timeā€¦ Once the keg kicksā€¦ I wonā€™t pull on the tap for a few daysā€¦ There is brew in them there hops! which I then get a half to almost full pint of hop juiceā€¦ I still aint sharing either! :sunglasses: I get the same feeling Voodoo (still not going to abbreviate VD). But for the sake of a great hoppy brewā€¦ its worth it! I suppose you could put it in a growler, cold crash and gently remove the elixirā€¦ add to the fermenter? perhaps? Sneezles61

1 Like

Clarity is much more a result of sound process and correct pH rather than trub.

2 Likes

I will agree, also addā€¦ attention to the cold side AFTER the brew is done matters too. There are many ways to ā€œclear upā€ a brewā€¦ Sneezles61