Transporting Kegs

Transferred the beer today. It went very smoothly.

Sanitized and purged receiving kegs, hooked up the liquid line to liquid posts on sending and receiving keg, opened the prv on the receiving keg and connected gas to sending keg.

WIth the pilsner it never got cloudy at the end just went from pretty clear looking beer to gas passing through the line. With the IPA I pulled the liquid line as soon as I saw the liquid begin to darken. May have transferred a tiny bit of trub/hops debris but nothing that won’t come off in the first pint.

The pilsner had been cold conditioning and on gas for about a month so no surprise that it was nice and clear. The IPA was DH’d at room temp for a week and has been in the fridge on gas for a couple weeks now. Will be interesting to see how the flavor/aroma compares to my usual kegs where the hops stay in. This will likely be drunk in one night so no long term concerns.

Pretty uneventful little exercise but I think it will definitely improve the presentation of the beers after travel. Thanks for all your input guys!

BTW @sneezles61, you’re right…i’m too vain to serve my beer in red cups…I’ll go for the clear one! ahahaha

4 Likes

So it turned out to be an interesting but not so fun trip for me after all. I packed the two kegs into a cooler with ice and drove to NY on Thursday night two weeks ago. Had a late dinner and couple beers with my son at a little restaurant down the street from his place. Woke up Friday AM feeling kind of crappy…stomach rumbling and rolling…we ran some errands he needed to do in preparation for his event Friday evening. Around 11 we stopped into a diner for something to eat and I suddenly felt worse…nauseous, sweat pouring off me, severe pain in my lower back…didn’t feel like muscle pain…was all I could do to make it back to his place and my car…he drove me to the ER and by then I was curled up in a fetal position…worst pain I’ve ever experienced…

Long story short spent the day at Mt Sinai ER writhing in pain with a kidney stone…made my son leave and go to his event…didn’t think to tell him to turn the gas offf and burp the kegs before trying to serve so the beer was a hit but a bit foamy I guess…

I passed the stone early evening and my son picked me up from the ER on his way back home…not the day I planned but such is life huh…at least I was able to provide the beer for his party.

2 Likes

That sucks

yea i recommend avoiding kidney stones. Took about a week before I started to feel 100% or as close to it as I can get at my age. haha

Uric acid build up. Drink alot of water. I try to limit the hop bombs like neipa. My levels went down

I also limit tomato sauce. Look up low purin diet

1 Like

Yea that’s kind of what my doc recommended too. My diet is pretty close already. I shouldn’t be a high risk for more according to him. I haven’t been drinking enough water in the last year or so I know that so I’ve definitely increased my water intake again. Feeling a lot better, more energy just from that.

Was that your first one?

Yes. First and hopefully ONLY!

You mean … purina? :joy: Sneezles61

1 Like