Too much Kveik yeast

On my second batch as a new Brewer I thought I would step outside of the box and try a recipe that I found online for 1 gallon batches.

The grain bill was scaled for a one gallon batch but it didn’t say anything about scaling the amount of Kveik yeast I was supposed to use so I put the whole package in after rehydration in warm warmer.

A few hours into fermentation last night I saw my airlock was bubbling quickly. Good thing I checked it because the foam was already starting to develop. I had a tube I could fit in the airlock hole to create a blow off.

When I checked on it this morning I saw the lid of my little big mouth bubbler had almost come completely off. The foam has nearly disappeared. I pushed the lid back on the fermenter.

Should I have not used the whole package of yeast?

1 Like

Yeast and amounts are fickle…
With Kviek, I don’t think there has been “too much, too little” conversation…
Sneezles61

I think it might have blown off regardless. Good thinking with the blow-off tube. Kveik is the best yeast to learn with IMO. It almost impossible to mess up.

1 Like

I do use kveik as my main yeast strain now there is lots of talking about kveik on the net. But one thing its hard to mess up with kveik. Me use it as a liqued yeast. A 1 liter starter. With one vial of kveik. Good for. 8 gallon batches. But more and more people do use dried kveik as well. Think fkr a 1 gallon batch. Use 1/4 of your yeast. The key. Kveik does like yeast nutrients as well. Some agree. After 4 days. Your yeast is done. And start raking your yeast. But best thing. Keep your temp bit higher than normal yeast. And use a huge air lock. Or blowover tube. Use to much yeast. Your yeast does not have enough sugars to compleet its thing

Using a whole 11g packet for a 1gal batch is an overpitch as they are designed for 5gal batch. This yeast is notorious for quick fermentation. So with an overpitch and this yeast it doesn’t surprise me that you’re seeing these conditions.

Thanks. I plan on using this yeast again, as temperature control in summer is difficult in my apartment, so I’ll adjust accordingly next time.

It’s a great yeast for people who are unable to control fermentation temps.

Unless you do live colder environment. Kveik does not do so good.

um but Kveik was born in some of the coldest brewing climates. It does fine.

Thats the weird thing about kveik i don’t under stand.

Its easy… Kviek proved it can do good in a warm atmosphere, so it could escape the blistering cold! :joy:
There… that was simple…
Sneezles61

3 Likes