To strain or not

Normally I strain my wort going into the fermenter except when doing a NEIPA. Yesterday I forgot what I was doing and strained my NEIPA wort. Wonder if it makes a difference.

Bet it doesn’t with the bass ackward way of making a NEIPA. Making these goes against every conventional wisdom of brewing a crystal clear beer.
Now I will say that with my new system I’m able to knockout very clear wort that’s has assisted in a clearer final product. But even then I used Omega DIPA Ale and despite using sound process it’s still a little cloudy. Doesn’t bother me but just pointing out that even some ingredients can get in the way of sound process.

The boil hops are fully extracted IMO so I didn’t care about straining those but alot of hops went into whirlpool and I wanted to get everything I could from those . I’ll beef up the dry hops

1 Like

Do you guys read those articles from Scott Janish?
Loopie, how do you get such a clear wort from the BK…?
Sneezles61

@brew_cat Are you talking about straining to oxygenate or straining to reduce trub (or both)?

I haven’t strained, but I do use the drill and a mix/stir attachment to oxygenate, even with the Northeast IPAs.

By whirlpooling and pulling off the side of the BK. Here’s a pic of my hop cone.

It does both. My wort is very clear and I strain and aerate to get most of the trunk and hop matter and make super clear beer. But I don’t really worry about that in the NEIPA and generally don’t strain just aerate. I’ll say one thing I threw 2 packages of wyeast London ale III and it started pretty quick within a few hours and it was nice and steady but today it’s throwing up a lot of krausen. I have to keep changing the airlock

1 Like

I come from the thought to get every last drop out… Next brew day I’ll try your thinking… It does make sense… I’ll need to find how much is left behind so I can adjust my grain bill accordingly…
Thank you Loopie…
Sneezles61