To Much Vodka in Airlock?

Ok, this is my first batch and I’ll admit I’m a rookie to all of the little nuances of home brewing. I have the s-shaped airlock on my fermentation bucket. I noticed that I am an 1/8" over the max fill mark evenly distributed between the two locks.
It’s been ~40 hours into fermentation. I’m sitting at 72F and the batch is a pale ale. I haven’t noticed any bubbles and can only assume we are early in the process and/or the pressures in the bucket are you taking the path of least resistance. As the process moves on I’m concerned that the gases trying to escape may find the pressure in the airlock to much resulting in some blow out around the lid.
Am I just rookie-worrying?
Thanks in advance.

[quote=“olanwade, post:1, topic:27119, full:true”]Am I just rookie-worrying?
Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

Yes you are. But big step is that you recognize it! :joy:

First, welcome to the forum. Great people here with great advice.

Second, buckets are notorious for leaking around the lid seal. You can take a flashlight and shine it through the back of the bucket and check if you can see a Krausen ring. As the yeast ferments it will create a puffy pillowy head that will leave a ring on your fermenter (krausen). If you can’t see pop the top and check it out. It will be fine for the amount of time you need to look.

2 Likes

When using a bucket I will often tap the lid at the edge with a rubber mallet our firmly with the heel of my palm. This will help it seal better. Welcome to the hobby. OH and to answer your question you can’t have too much liquid in the air lock, it will blow out any surplus.

1 Like

A big welcome to this forum… 18 plus years brewing, I’ve never used anything but plain old tap water in my air lockers… You’re more likely to get an infection due to poor cleaning/sanitizing… Tell us about what your doing now, and whats coming up… Sneezles61

My first batch is a pale ale. I followed a strict cleaning and sanitizing during the entire process. My plan is to continue the 1st fermentation for 2 weeks. At that point my plan is to check the SG and transfer to my 2nd fermentation carboy for 1-2 weeks. Then bottle, condition for 1-2 weeks, then chill and sample.
I hope to run a 2nd or 3rd extract batch and then experiment later this fall with all grain recipe.

1 Like

I wouldn’t go into a secondary… just leave it in the primary… I have had a brew sit in the primary for a month with no ill effects… Oh boy… wait some the others that DO use a secondary see this… !! :sunglasses: Sneezles61

1 Like

Oy vey! Research secondary and do what works best for you. I’m pro secondary as I saw first hand the benefits for ME.

2 Likes

Loopie is pro. Pro brewers have their sanitation down to a zen like art form. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I secondary when… I am bored> I add fruit> I split batches > age beer/ lager

1 Like

See? Sneezles61

1 Like

Welcome! Don’t sweat airlock level. Cool that you’re looking at those details but as someone in here once said, “there’s a guy that brews in garbage cans.” I use Star San or booze in my air locks. Buckets lie because they leak. LOL I’m with @squeegeethree and @sneezles61 when it comes to secondary. Not a fan.

1 Like

I put cheap vodka in my airlocks. Overkill but if the temp drops drastically it can get sucked into the fermenter. Probably won’t hurt anything but why have to even think about it.

Tapping the lid with a mallet or the palm of your hand is good advice from @Stoney They do not seal well.